1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 3: The Daniel Jones Era begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Wasn't like $9M of his contract fully guaranteed? So they just paid him $9M for one game? LOL.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And it was against Miami.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am halfway convinced Belichick came out of that press conference and decided that he'd never have to answer another AB question if he just released him. Not really. More like Kraft told Belichick he had to go. "Only room for one sex scandal in this franchise, mister!"

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The Pats were a finely tuned machine against the Steelers.

They don't need this shit.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They could beat the Jets without any wideouts at all. Just use some extra tackles. They'd probably each get five catches. I think the AB reach was Belichick going for 19-0. Hubris usually ends poorly. Bill's still a great coach, but the iron grip he used to be able to keep on his massive ego is slipping more and more each season.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The bonus is being paid in two installments, apparently. The first one might be due as late as Monday. There could be some wiggle room for them to decline to pay. Don't know whether a release before any NFL action affects the teams ability to withhold the cash.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Except he did play for them.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The way I heard it explained, there was a clause in the contract saying they could get out of paying anything if he withheld any information of a situation that could lead to Brown being unavailable to the team. The Patriots supposedly didn't know about the accusations by Brown's former trainer when they signed him, so they can probably get out of the bonus entirely.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’m sure both of the upstanding parties involved will agree to give the full bonus amount to charity; most likely one that supports the victims of sex trafficking or assault. Amirite?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wait, why wouldn't he?

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I’ll make a bigger dent on my couch.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was meant as a joke, a reference to Villanueva becoming a symbol of the anti-kneeling crowd when he came out of the tunnel and stood by himself when his team had decided to stay in the locker room as a way to try to avoid the kneeling issue. At first, all we saw was pictures of Villanueva, a former Army Ranger, seemingly alone without his teammates. Then a straight-on angle shot finally surfaced, and that showed the entire team just behind him, standing in the tunnel.

Villanueva was not a fan of the whole kneeling thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted