1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for first Bundesliga/Bayern Munich game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tamon Honda, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Tamon Honda

Tamon Honda New Member

My wife and I will be in Munich for about a week. During our stay, Bayern Munich will be playing at least two games: one on the road and one at Allianz Arena. The home game will be against Tottenham Hotspur as part of the Champions League, and tickets are pricey.

Let's say we go the the Tottenham game. This will be my first football game outside of the US. Are there things to see or do prior to the game? How will the crowd behave? Should we buy a Bayern Munich scarves to fit in? (I bought a Yankees cap on my one visit to the old Yankee Stadium.) I appreciate any thoughts offered up.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fucking Beej.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this the running humblebrag thread?

4. Tamon Honda

Tamon Honda New Member

I'll try not to mention my wife around you again.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Running brag thread, then.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Munich's great. Prosperous, if a little dull.

Get to the big art museum, the Kunsthalle; walk the Englische Garten and have a beer and a weisswurst under the Chinesische pagoda; visit the Olympic Village and the grounds of the '72 games - the pool is still open to the public - and pay your respects at the apartment of the Israeli athletes killed that year. Ride the S Bahn out to the Dachau Memorial; visit the Viktualien Markt in the city center for great variety of eats; wander the Nordfreihof cemetery. The nearby BMW museum is great for car lovers.

Go to crazy King Ludwig's in-town palace, the Schloss Nymphenberg, which has an amazing series of gardens. Be sure to hang out in the main plaza of the city to watch the giant clock - the Rathaus Glockenspiel - strike the hours with its parade of life-size characters. Go to the original beer garden, the Hofbrauhaus - the 'small' beers are the size of a laundry basket, and the pork knuckle is a big as your head.

Two good restaurants for authentic German food: Zum Straubinger, downtown, and the Zamdorfer in the eastern suburbs. If you go there, get the schnitzel and the cheese spaetzel. Also, the apfelsorel.

There are a couple good attractions just to the south, as well. The Starnberger See is a huge resort lake south of the city. Lots of good country gasthauses around it if you want to stop for lunch or dinner or an overnight. Amazing views. Same with the Tegernsee, farther south, at the base of the Alps, and very beautiful.

You can get everywhere on the subway or the train or the bus or the streetcar. It's also a great place to bike, and they have a citywide bikeshare.

There's a 'standing wave' on the Isar in the Engish Garden that's always worth a snapshot.

59325013_4e4899689d2.jpg

I'm sure I'll think of a couple more.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted