1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Mark Felt and others like him are why that law was passed. The intent was to give a government insider who discovered that something illegal or unacceptable was going on a safe way to expose it without having to go to the press, as Felt did. The problem is that the wording of the law, both in terms of the IG and the process itself, allowed ambiguity of interpretation which has allowed the AG/DOJ to subvert it.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Second in the running: avarice.

3. Neutral Corner

4. Neutral Corner

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The Federal Election Commission also was created to counter the abuses that were brought into the light by events surrounding Watergate.

Leaders and members of both political parties have left it withering on the vine.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it's a problem with the wording of the law. This isn't something that has to be parsed by a team of lawyers.

To me, it's a problem with a corrupt administration that is being run like a mafia organization, and the other branches of government are not being effective in reining in blatant abuses of power as quickly as some of us would like.

Ultimately, I actually have faith in America to get things right. ... or at least purge itself of an obvious mistake. I strongly suspect it will go down in history as something like a Boss Tweed type of presidency.

Sometimes it just takes us a while to get to the right result -- the one most of us already know because we have common sense. Watergate bringing down Nixon didn't happen overnight, for example.

Things are more poisoned now, because we have weakened our institutions even more since then, in ways similar to my discussion with Gee about how we have weakened our judiciary. So this is taking even longer, way longer than it ever should have. But I do have faith in our country. We have made a lot of mistakes in our history and typically find our way back to the set of values that really define us. Sometimes it takes a while, but. ...

7. Neutral Corner

8. Neutral Corner

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. This dude is not in the party in control.
    2. Sarcasm is a thing in foreign languages, too.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Here's what I can't figure out - why are Trump and his cronies so focused on taking out Biden this early? Do they think Warren or the others would be easier in the GE?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trump figures any woman candidate would just be Hillary 2.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.