1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I'm down 25 pounds since mid-July by focusing on cutting out added sugars and eating more lean meats and vegetables. I haven't completely eliminated carbs but I've cut back a lot. Between fixing my diet and getting on the Peloton at least five times per week. I'm leaner and stronger than I've been in more than a decade. The only bad part is that none of my clothes are fitting any more. I had to make an emergency run this weekend for new shirts before I had a work trip. my goal is to drop another 20 pounds.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's great news, McNuggets Man!

And after years of hemming and hawing about improving my diet and trying to lose weight, being diagnosed in June as a type 2 diabetic finally forced me to do it. Thankfully, I have reduced my blood sugar numbers by drastically cutting carbs and processed foods from my diet (my two cheats are multi-grain bread and an occasional handful of chocolate chips). I am fortunate that I went to the doctor and had not yet suffered too many consequences from diabetes ... many people aren't so lucky.

There's a reason the Atkins Diet and other carb-cutting meal plans are popular — they work. I went from 226 when I was diagnosed to 209 at my last checkup, and for the first time in decades, saw my waistline shrink (from a 40 to a 38). It's the lightest I've been since my senior year of high school (30 years ago). And I feel healthier than I have in a long time.

Still not perfect — need to have a better/more regular exercise plan, and it's a constant battle to resist my sweet tooth — but just wanted to come on here and say if you cut down on processed foods and flour/sugar, you will see results. It works!

maumann likes this.
  3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Nice, man. That's quite inspirational.

maumann and Moderator1 like this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another week is done (just about): 250 laps in the pool and 72.5 miles walking (will be 77 after tonight's 4.5-miler).

maumann likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Songbird, you're a beast. But when do you find time to work, eat and take a, you know, satisfying dump?

maumann likes this.
  6. Songbird

Whitman inspires me by making this a priority despite raising two kids, volunteering in his community, etc.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I had a patient who was a long time diabetic. Her approach was to avoid the sweet stuff, promising herself the dessert of her choice with Sunday dinner if she was good. She'd think all week about what the choice should be, weighing the options. Then when Sunday came, she'd ask herself if she really wanted that dessert, or if she could go another week. If she could skip it, she could be proudly virtuous. If she couldn't, she'd eat the treat she had earned, no guilt.

It's all about the mindset.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Diabetes can be managed. I admire your patient, NC!

I'm here to testify that pneumonia sucks. Even though I've never been into better recreation through chemistry, the drugs are great! Weeeee!

9. Neutral Corner

Yeah, she was a common sense lady, and she had learned what worked for her. She would no shit debate all week over whether it would be Key Lime Pie or a big old brownie - and then look at them and not order them. She'd suck it up and go another week, gaming herself and her expectations. Then again,if she was doing that and at some point she weakened and ate something, there was no guilt. She'd just shrug and start over.

Pneumonia sucks hard. The worst thing is that you'll be really sick for four or five days, a week, and then you'll start to feel better and turn the corner. You think. You'll get up in the morning and start moving around and by noon you'll be flat on your ass in bed, because you really haven't shaken it yet. Take it very easy or you'll relapse. It's sneaky as hell and takes several weeks to truly recover from.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Songbird

Last 2 weeks: 500 laps in the pool, 125 miles walking.

jlee likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Good for her! She's my hero for today.

Thanks for the advice. It's been a challenge because I hate the tamped-down feeling that comes with medication. Family members have been herding me like I try to herd the ferals: "Nope. No. No. Go back to bed..."

12. Neutral Corner

If you push yourself too hard no one will have to tell you a damn thing. You'll just fall out on the couch or wherever is handy when it occurs to you that you really really need to lie down.

There is a very simple test you can do to self assess your progress in healing. Take in a deep breath, and if that does not set you off open your mouth a little bit and exhale, and when you have, compress your chest a bit and force the exhale. If you still have fluid in your chest you will hear and feel it crackling and bubbling. You'll likely also have a painful coughing fit and roundly curse me for suggesting this... but you'll know that you're not over it.

If you push too hard too early you'll wind up relapsing and being back in bed for another ten days to two weeks. Pace yourself and be extremely realistic.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted