1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Biggest LOOSER -- running weight loss thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Starting June 1 I tried to cut all added sugars from my diet. I've been pretty consistent on it and I've dropped 16 pounds -- 214 to 198. I tried to add in going to the gym a little bit too and that helps. I am hoping to get back to the 185 range but I already feel a lot better.

exmediahack and I Should Coco like this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Update: About a week after this, my doc told me that my triglycerides were high -- not like scary high, but definitely higher than they should be -- and recommended a dietary overhaul, which included ... eliminating added sugar.

So: Since June 20, I've severely limited added sugar and have all but eliminated dairy, pork, white rice and white bread from my daily intake. Without significantly increasing my exercise, I lost 18 pounds in two months. Now that I'm back to what I think I should weigh (I'm 49, 5-7 and in the high 140s), I've started bumping the exercise back up to where I was a few years ago. Have never felt better.

Webster and WriteThinking like this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Eliminating unnecessary sugar is probably the biggest reason why I lost weight and the biggest factor to putting it back on. I'm down 12 pounds in the past 3 weeks, largely from recommitting to my sugar cut down and eliminating alcohol.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

How processed food makes us fat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...m_source=pocket-newtab&utm_term=.55298d6c57a3

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've lost 13 pounds since the end of February. Obviously that's not much. All I did was cut way back on between-meal snacks. Far from an all-out effort and far from great results but after seeing what I can do without trying too hard, it is rather encouraging.

justgladtobehere and jlee like this.
  6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Coming late to this, and cheating to boot. At the end of last September, I had some health problems and the docs talked me into bariatric surgery. To have it done at the hospital I wanted, I had to lose a bunch of weight first. Met that goal, had my surgery on Aug. 21. Since then, I’ve lost another 22 pounds. All in all, I’m down almost 200 pounds from this time last year.

Still a long way to go...

Flip Wilson, jlee, Bud_Bundy and 5 others like this.
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude! That's a lot of weight - congrats and keep it rolling.

Killick likes this.
  8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thanks. I feel better, but GOD, I MISS REAL CHOCOLATE.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Heard.

Killick likes this.
  10. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

What are examples of sugars you cut out and what works as a substitute?

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Avoid processed food. Juices are pretty high in sugar. Bread has a lot of calories. Plan your meals. If you eat a healthy diet with fruits and vegetables, you will get plenty of natural sugar and your desire for snacks should go down. You can still have cookies and ice cream, but if you can break yourself from the habit you won't want them as much.

Patchen and Killick like this.
  12. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I make myself a fruit smoothie every morning and I get a ton of sweetness without added sugar. I do a banana, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, protein powder or natural peanut butter plus frozen fruit and its great. I sometimes added spinach or carrots to make it even healthier. It fills me up and I don't crave anything sweet all day.

Killick and Patchen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted