1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Nope

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I am flabbergasted that Kirk Gibson never played in an All-Star Game.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Williams miss out because of the wars?

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

No steals in '46 or '47. He only had 24 steals for his career

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The third guy is Frank Robinson

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He was, IIRC, named to two games, but opted not to play. Probably spent the three days in a duck blind.

expendable and Sea Bass like this.
  7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That was a heck of a good piece of trivia. So many guys were close, but missed because they had cups of coffee to start their career.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That face mask screams “punch me in the face.”

9. Tamon Honda

Tamon Honda New Member

Who were the two members of the 1958-59 UCLA Bruins basketball team who lettered in other sports?

* Rafer Johnson, Track & Field. Johnson won the decathlon in the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome
    * Billy Kilmer, Football. Kilmer played 17 years in the NFL, mostly as QB, for the 49ers, Saints, and Redskins. He also fumbled the ball that Jim Marshall of the Vikings returned the wrong way for a 49er safety.

Source: Wooden: A Coach's Life by Seth Davis, p. 163 (paperback).

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As I recall, he used to shift and adjust it before he punted. I remember thinking having a movable face bar could not have been legal equipment in the league.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Jose Canseco became baseball's first 40-40 player when he did it in 1988. However, another player technically accomplished the feat much earlier, but had an early-season home run erased by a rainout and finished just short. Who was that player?

Also, who was the first 30-30 player in MLB history?

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

This is interesting. I know Bobby Bonds was the “King” of 30-30 players so I want to say he was first, but i would be really shocked if it was him since he was a 70s player.

As for 39-40 guy, if it’s not bonds and really much earlier...Rogers Hornsby?

Draft saved Draft deleted