1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Here is the Democratic party in a nutshell:
    They don't have the nuts to use their authority to make Trump's bunch abide by the law while at the same time eating one of their own.

Arizona Democratic Party will hold vote to censure Sinema

The Arizona Republic reports the censure vote is due to the fact that progressives in the state Democratic Party see her as too accommodating to President Trump and his policies.
    Dan O’Neal, the state coordinator for Progressive Democrats of America, told the news outlet that the censure is an effort to push Sinema back toward the left.
    “Here’s the thing: We really support Kyrsten Sinema, we want her to succeed, we want her to be the best senator in the country,” O’Neal said. “But the way she is voting is really disappointing. We want Democrats to vote like Democrats and not Republicans.”
    FiveThirtyEight’s Trump Tracker found that Sinema has opposed Trump during her time in the Senate 81 percent of the time.

Whaaaaat? How dare someone actually work with the other party? The humanity!*

*The story mentions a couple of things she voted for I personally don't like, but knock someone because they don't just give a partisan vote on everything.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is just the beginning. The level of purity test that’s coming for the party everywhere will make head spin. It already has certain presidential candidates promising magical unicorn violations of the 2nd amendment.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why would dems what more stringent checks on the executive branch when every presidential candidate plans on remaking the nation through executive fiat?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You know what's weird? In 2014, the Arizona GOP censured John McCain. I guess it's a bipartisan tradition out there.

matt_garth likes this.
  5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

What “magical unicorn violations of the 2d Amendment” have been suggested? I am aware of O’Rourke’s assault weapon ban, but several federal appellate courts have upheld restrictions on ownership of assault weapons. While not an approval of those rulings, SCOTUS has declined to review them, leaving those decisions in place. Scalia indicated in dicta in Heller that a ban of such weapons would not be a violation of the Second Amendment.

I may have missed the suggestions from candidates restricting the rights of individuals to own and keep handguns in their homes, which SCOTUS did rule violated the 2d A.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Everything Trump has done doesn't seem to concern Alma. What concerns Alma is the possibility of Democratic overreach.

BadgerBeer, HanSenSE and TowelWaver like this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A ban on purchases? Sure. (I’m in favor too.)

Mandated buyback of already legally purchased weapons under the threat of confiscation/prosecution? I think that’d make its way to SCOTUS real quick to chew on the common use idea from the Heller decision.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is a gross inaccuracy. One of the worst things Trump has done is normalize discord and chaos, to which the progressive response is to propose more rules, more laws, ever more government in every way. The overreach is an overreaction that Trump inspires in people. It’s deeply dysfunctional.

But I think anyone is naive if they listen to Democratic debates and think their prescriptions for America - which is patronizing on one level - is pragmatic and wholly freedom-loving.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is someone proposing a mandatory buyback of all weapons?

Or just assault-style weapons?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

NBC/WSJ is one of the best polling operations, but the key number in this poll is that all of 9 percent (!!) of respondents said they'd made up their minds for sure. A lot of the divergence in these national polls of Democrats comes from answers that are extremely temporary. It's like a big yacht race with no wind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.