1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ric Ocasek

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 15, 2019.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

That's actually Benjamin Orr - the Cars other lead vocalist - singing on that.

Tough to go when you're at some indeterminate age between 70 and 75. Worse when you're 53 and get hit by cancer.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I believe I read that Porizkova arrived on a plan in the US wearing a Dead Kennedys (?) shirt sayin Too Drunk To Fuck.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

According to the USA Today story and Wiki, Porizkova split from Ocasek in 2017.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

You’re right. Excellent song — my first hearing of it. Added to my running playlist. Thanks.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is true. Heard the news and went looking right for Porizkova’s Twitter. She was handling questions about it and was very positive about the whole thing. It felt oddly intrusive (on my part) just to read the exchanges.

I did not tell her “thank you” for her work in the late 80’s in the SI swimsuit issue. “Saved me time” at certain points in my life at 13 and 14.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

More like every song on that album is quality. I cannot think of an album where 8/9 is recognizable.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

My favorite song from the first album, slightly ahead of Moving In Stereo, is the leadoff track.

maumann likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Add The Pretenders' debut to that as well.

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Didn't realize how old these guys were before they broke through. Orr, Ocasek and Robinson were all about 30 or older when the debut album dropped; even the younger Easton and Hawkes were both mid 20s. Gotta give Orr and Ocasek kudos for persistence in basically slogging through a decade before finally hitting it big.

RIP, Ric. Hopefully you're finding your way to the great stage in the sky with Benny 11 Letters.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Bye Bye Love" was one of my favorites, always immediately off of "You're All I've Got Tonight."

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Spotify often produces a playlist right after someone dies - I'm hoping that's the case for my walk today.

Draft saved Draft deleted