1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eddie Money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In no world ever anywhere would Billy Joel be rated below Bruce Springsteen.

In baseball terms that would be Reggie Jackson over Ted Williams.

Dylan being Hank Aaron.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Did you purposely put Billy Joel, Paul Simon and Michael Jackson ahead of Bob Fucking Dylan? Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Willie Nelson are at least defensible (sort of).

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Michael Jackson's also defensible. He's one of the biggest stars who ever lived. And Ray Charles absolutely should be ahead of Dylan as well.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

By the way, other than some Casey Kasem replay show, when's the last time anyone heard "We Are the World" played on the radio?

It literally was one of the top, if not the best-selling, record of the entire 1980s. All those 1980s stars were on it. But no 1980s-format radio station would be caught dead playing it today.

maumann and garrow like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agree with all points. Magnitude of career is debateble. Dylan is obviously more influential than those he's listed behind, but when you are talking hits, sales, touring - I'll stand by it. Could have sworn Elton was there (cross him off then).
    Springsteen over Joel? I guess. Joel had more top singles, Bruce had the albums, tours, and the critical praise and longer career. I didn't realize Bruce had sold so many albums since the 80s. 14 of 15 albums Platinum or plus between his debut and 2009.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

OK -- Michael Jackson is defensible from a hit singles standpoint and because he was a more talented stage performer. And you can make a case for Ray Charles. But "absolutely" ahead of Dylan? I don't think anyone on that list is "absolutely" ahead of Dylan or even kind of ahead of him. But because I'm open-minded, I'll allow Ray Charles, Willie Nelson and Stevie Wonder into the conversation. But Billy Joel? Bah. Nobody that inoffensive, risk-averse and aimed squarely at the center deserves that kind of ranking, no matter how many units of competently performed, mawkish, middle-of-the-road pieces of harmless nostalgia they've peddled. I give him some credit -- he's an outstanding piano player and vocalist and it's not easy to write stuff that appeals to so many people across so many decades. But what's he ever done that is remotely interesting?

He's truly the Cheesecake Factory of musical artists.

7. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Christie Brinkley

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He's drunk, maudlin Barry Manilow.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I will never understand people’s fascination with Elvis Costello. I heard “Veronica” the other day and was reminded of this sentiment. His good stuff must be buried on albums that I’ve never heard, either from friends or on the radio. Ce la vie

X-Hack likes this.
  10. Starman

His first four or five albums were flat out great.

He got erratic after that, but his good stuff was still real good.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Unlistenable then and now. Only amusing thing was the first few seconds of the video just to see all those folks together in one room.

12. Starman

"Do They Know It's Christmas" is a nice drop-in once or twice a Christmas season.
    I don't think I've listened to "WATW" all the way through in 25 years. Maybe once for the 25th anniversary in 2010.

I have listened to "Sun City" a few times. It still rocks pretty hard.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted