1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State beat writer | The Oklahoman (Oklahoma City)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ryan_Sharp, Mar 7, 2019.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

The only thing I don't get on his part is leaving the prior job before knowing 100% that the new job was his. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that because anything can happen (and it did happen in this case).

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pretty much identical to what happened to me three years ago at, of all places, the Baltimore Sun. I feel for the guy.

Memo to newspaper execs: Give some thought to "grandfathering" in recent hires at the time of your job freeze. You know, to show some human compassion or something.

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

You mean, like laying off a long-time employee the week he returns from his honeymoon? That kind of compassion?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I didn't say this compassion was in plentiful supply these days.

5. Writer

Writer Member

This is just the first sign for him that he would be better off finding a job outside of journalism.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Not to be pedantic, but I have never "signed a contract" with any of the dozen or so employers I have had in my life (inside or outside of the business). Unless you are a contractor or a member of a collective bargaining unit, you are in an at-will relationship and you can leave yourself or be fired by the company for any reason or no reason at all unless it is specifically proscribed by law.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The most I ever signed was an acceptance of a job offer, and even then, there's nothing to stop them from laying me off an hour into the agreed-upon first day.

8. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

That's my point. In a job that is likely an at-will relationship, the newspaper's decision to withdraw the agreed-upon job offer is not legal ground for the kid to win a lawsuit. Suggesting the kid should sue them is spouting bullshit out the wrong end.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Saw on Twitter an announcement that someone has been hired to cover high schools for the Oklahoman.

Guess the hiring freeze wasn't a long one.

This would piss me off to even higher levels, if I was the OSU beat writer who wasn't.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

They moved Jacob Unruh from preps to the OSU beat.

11. That guy got an NFL beat job after the whole thing went down. He's straight.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

For those who missed it last week

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted