1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interpreting Publisher Statements - Rejection

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Zachary Holt, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Zachary Holt

Zachary Holt New Member

Hello All! I'm new to this forum and am looking for some help on trying to interpret responses I've received from publicists. I'm a senior editor for a prominent magazine out of NYC and have interviewed and written stories on Eli Manning, Adam Schefter, and NY Mets players with no problems. However, as of late, attempts with other high-profile personalities are being met with the phrase from their publishers that they aren't available, even given the premise that there will be at least 45 days to spare where only 45 minutes would be needed. Is this phrase intended to mean that they aren't interested and this is a nicer way of stating that? Or should I not read too much into it? It just doesn't make sense to turn down an opportunity to be on the cover of a big magazine because there seemingly isn't 45 min to spare. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as this has occurred with me 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you're trying to reach writers - go through their agents, not their publishers. It might not help, but a publisher doesn't get anything out of something like that. It would be like another publication asking your bosses to interview you. Do you mean publicists?

3. Zachary Holt

Zachary Holt New Member

DanOregon, yes that is what I meant. I've had some success going through agents, but they usually refer me to their publicists.

4. DanOregon

It's all about relationships - find someone with a connection.

Zachary Holt likes this.
  5. Zachary Holt

Zachary Holt New Member

Do you think that there is any specific wording that should be specifically included or not used? I establish our publication's credibility, outreach, and flexibility, in addition to, exactly what the interview would entail. It's just frustrating. But thank you for that advice.

6. DanOregon

Find someone you know - who can 'vouch" for you. Ask to use their name in a pitch.

Are you doing this via social media and not over the phone? You really need to establish that you are "connected" "Joe Blow said you could help me get in touch with X"

BadgerBeer and Zachary Holt like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted