1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP kokane_muthashed!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Terribly sad.

Condolences to his family and his friends.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So sad. 47 is way too young.

Condolences to family and friends.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Wow. I'd assumed he was out of the woods when he went home. This sucks.

Condolences to his family and friends, including so many of them here. This thread shows how interconnected we all are, and how much of a hub Jeff was.

Rest in peace.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Really sorry to have read this. Condolences to his family and his friends who see this thread. RIP.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I remember the handle and lament his loss.
    May his family and friends be comforted by good memories.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I truly believe we're not dead until the last person who remembers us is dead. My dad, dead 19 years, will finally be dead when my mid-20s niece is gone.

I never met Jeff, but I'm sorry to hear of his death.

I've been here in one other handle since 2006, and, man, there have been way too many deaths in the sj family.

Vombatus and maumann like this.
  7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Didn't know Jeff personally, but remember him by his handle here ... and as someone who's exactly the same age and has a similar job, this one hits home.

Sad, sad news.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain I sat between them at the pizza joint we went to. Never knew his name was Jeff, but in a couple hours it was clear he was a very good guy. Just like Ron.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Jeff was for sure one of those barometer guys. If you didn't like Jeff, you really needed to look in the mirror and wander what the fuck was wrong with you.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't remember specific interactions with Jeff on here, although I'm sure we had some based on our mutual love of music.

This hits like a ton of bricks. Once again, we've lost one of the people who make up the soul of this cyber room.

I'm heartbroken for Jeff's family, his work colleagues, his friends, for SJ.com.

I just saw the video where the late Valerie Harper was talking about her then-recent brain tumor diagnosis in an interview with other alumnae of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. She was asked about her remaining upbeat in spite of potentially dying in months, weeks, or even days. She summed up her attitude about her grim diagnosis with one pithy sentence.

"Don't go to the funeral until the day of the funeral." She went on to say it's OK to have those moments of desperation, of sadness, of anger, to feel them, and then to move on. She wanted people to live life in the meantime. It made me reflect on my cancer diagnosis and how I faced my own mortality.

Since Jeff loved music so much, some lyrics from Bonnie Raitt's comeback record Nick Of Time come to mind: "Life gets mighty precious/When there's less of it to waste."

RIP kokane_muthashed. You took a piece of each of us with you.

BrownScribe likes this.
  11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Didn’t know him, but so sorry to hear this. 47. Goddamn.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Every loss - spnited, SF_Express, shockey, and this one, to name a few - diminishes this place a bit. But we keep on keeping on.

47. Much to young. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted