1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's with all the hyphens anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by drexler, Aug 17, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No sentence was made better using three or four dependent clauses, which necessitate commas.
    One new one I've seen among all the Kool Kid miLLeNNial hipster writers: the colon.
    For some it seems to be a dependency issue, or a weak crutch made of pine.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"You, whose moniker includes a nod to flatulence, can kiss my royal keester, the part of my body I sometimes call my arse." -- Henry James

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

I've read so much 19th-century wind I don't even flinch. The ornamentality is charming once it stops being aggravating.
    Long ago, when I was a young man in the business, I'd heard the New York Times mandated a lede could not be longer than 30 words.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

For sure, Henry James is a slog at times, but once you get used to it, well, there's a reason he's called The Master.

Samuel Johnson is another whose prose is somewhat unwieldy. But again, worth the effort. That kind of writing, though, would probably never get out of the slush pile now.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

Johnson just loved words and how they fit. He was a lexicographer as much as he was anything else.
    One thing about these guys anyone can learn from - they drive the verbs hard, really crush them.
    It's like what Derek Jacobi said about playing Shakespeare.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Oh, I don’t know about hat.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

9. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

This is one I always struggle with....

sixth most efficient

Where do you put the hyphen, if any?

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

sixth-most modifies efficient

sixth most-efficient person in the room modifies person

I think. Shit, now I've confused myself.

MNgremlin likes this.
  11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

My introductory journalism writing instructor at Indiana once told us, "if you have a colon or a semicolon in your story, it's too complex. Put a period in there."

Said instructor, on the first day of class, also wrote "THAT" in big letters on the whiteboard and followed with "almost every time it's used, it doesn't need to be there, so don't use it." My high school journalism students get that lesson, too.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The teacher said that that that that that student wrote was wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted