1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I lost another friend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I’m surprised at the number of people who smoke weed to get a good night’s sleep. Friend of mine uses every night and we were never big stoners, just partiers.

Weed is legal where I live and many storefronts make it super easy to buy. Can’t say I don’t want to give it a shot but I am in management in safety sensitive positions so can’t touch it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

What he said. I switched careers into teaching. It’s a rewarding challenge.

X-Hack and OscarMadison like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dude, that's why wake-'n'-bake was invented.

OscarMadison and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Chet-
    I understand what you're saying.
    I have very hard personal rules for usage and I don't deviate from them.
    There are certain low-THC products you can get specifically to ease sleep.
    One guy's opinion- I believe God gave us that plant for a reason and used responsibly, it’s a literal blessing.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's great that you interviewed for teaching/subbing work! Way to go. Just see how it goes.

Everything's overwhelming now in part because you're struggling with depression and negative feelings. That includes how you're regarding you stint driving rental cars. Let me say that that's probably not actually the best you can do. You just haven't found something better yet.

But there's nothing wrong, at all, with the fact that you're driving rental cars right now, and at least for now. And if, for some reason, it turns into a long-term endeavor, let me say that it will be possible to see the good in it, and perhaps even to have an appreciation for it and to find contentment in it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Driving rental cars" for a living is a great character detail to write a screenplay around.

Or even have the car rental office be the central point of a TV show like Taxi.

Gold and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So taking inventory of what I have going for me at the moment:

1). I'm sober. I haven't used an illegal drug in at least a quarter century and because I have to drive everywhere I very rarely drink. Even though marijuana is legal in my state, I don't partake, though I am open to it if I don't have to drive anywhere.

2). Somehow, I have more money in the bank than I've ever had in my life (My share of the death benefit from my mom's annuity helped). I paid off two credit cards, got a crown on a cracked tooth and have enough to pay off the remaining three years on my car's loan if I want to, but I think I'll just use what's left as a rainy day fund, keep making payments on the car and if I'm ever stuck, I'll pay it off.

3). As a friend of mine pointed out, I do have a good enough reputation in the business I was in that I can get freelance work.

There might be some other things, too. I just can't think of any at the moment.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good list, a lot of people would like a list like that

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And you spell good.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Do you have kids?

Married?

Is anything holding you down to where you live? It seems like work isn't holding you back.

How old are you?

It sounds like you have some pretty nice freedom right now. If I had a chance, I would have spent my younger years a lot closer to the water. You might have that chance now.

Moddy loves Topsail Island. See if he can hook you up. Seriously. You have a lot of possibility in front of you. A fucking lot of it.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hook him up with what? Not that I mind helping, just not sure what the thinking is here.

And yeah, I do love Topsail Island. Hope to own part of it at some point.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

You might know people down there who could get him a job. It doesn’t have to be journalism, either. Just a job in a new location.

Or any of us could help get his resume to the right person.

Draft saved Draft deleted