1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Look, the Colts have lied for so long and so often about Luck's health over the years I was wondering if he'd be able to play this season. Every update got a little more problematic. It's quite possible Luck's body told him that another long painful rehab stint that might or might not end in time for much of the regular season was in store. That's really not important. Any NFL player who retires of their own volition is to be congratulated, period.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think there was a gap between what the Colts believed his health was and Luck thought it was.

3. Michael_ Gee

I am sure you are right, as the Colts had a vested interest in optimism as a policy while Luck had his neurons as a counsel.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given his injuries, Luck might be past his prime physically.

5. Michael_ Gee

Also I'd say Megatron was the latest.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Fuck that guy. And fuck those fans.

“Oh, no, now I won’t be welcome back in Indianapolis anymore,” said no one ever.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don’t get your point that the Colts were somehow “good” to him and not “a little heartless and ruthless” factoring into his decision. I took from your point that if played for a different franchise, he would not be in a position to retire and that’s simply untrue.

Tweener likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dakich is Indy's shock jock. His ratings on Monday will be through the roof with three hours of anti-Luck jive. The rest of the radio hosts in the market will soft-pedal it and let callers run all day -- mostly the same callers that were booing last night.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He had intention of playing. He hurt his calf, and it turned into the bone issue.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It seems to me a quick glance at his medical history would paint a different picture of how much the game has taken out of him.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't trust any team when they talk about injuries - if everything was "fine" you wouldn't be asking about an injury. They lie - it's in their interest to lie. Thus "well the surgery happened, doctors found more damage than they anticipated and we don't know when or if Joey is ever going to be the player he has been for us again." Becomes - "We're cautiously optimistic."

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

more "shocking" retirements

Marciano ?

Koufax

Borg

Magic

Dryden ?

Jordan

Draft saved Draft deleted