1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Andrew Luck retiring from NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Answered Tween. I didn’t realize he’d morphed into a giant asshole.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got no use for anyone feeling they get to judge whether you retired "too soon" or "not soon enough." Sure - these are mostly troll jobs aimed at raising followers - but coming from people who don't even pay their way into games is a particularly bad look. Let them stand behind that line and be at the mercy of an NFL defensive end. Geez. Complaining about players not being as tough as we were in our day is the most grandpa thing ever.

Is there any doubt that this was leaked to embarass Luck while the Colts were playing?

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Deskgrunt50

Great point. Somebody definitely did this with intent.

Vombatus, Neutral Corner and Tweener like this.
  4. DanOregon

And I'll start listening to someone complain about Luck's decision after THEY've been sacked 175 times in an NFL game.

2muchcoffeeman and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Best NFL player to retire in his prime since Barry Sanders?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A lot of fans have no concept of how much it takes to play pro football, or any sport beyond high school, which is when most of their careers likely ended. Just another TV show.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I will never get the fans who are so bitter at players. It’s pure jealousy and hate about their own lives.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Patrick Willis was (and might still be) on a hall of fame track when he retired with plenty left in the tank.
    Good as Luck was, I'm not sure he ever quite reached that level.

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Also, I’m trying to wrap my head around people caring so damn much about a game that they’d publicly trash a guy for no longer wanting to destroy his body playing it.

2muchcoffeeman and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  10. DanOregon

It's funny - Sanders retired after 10 seasons and people act like he betrayed Detroit. Teams give up on running backs after six or seven years and it's seen as a smart business move.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Calvin Johnson would also like a word.

Willis is going to be an interesting watch during the upcoming voting, since he'll be eligible for the first time. He's going to get in at some point, but it took Terrell Davis three tries as a finalist and Boselli is about to make it four times as a finalist. Willis played a season and a half longer than Boselli but I could see him being forced to wait. 2022 doesn't have much for first-timers beyond DeMarcus Ware and 2021 is going to have Manning, Woodson and probably Jared Allen so slots are limited

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Especially in the era of knowing a lot more about CTE.

Tweener and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted