1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verlander, Astros block the Free Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I don't care if the reporter made a pass at Kate Upton, you can't bar the reporter from the clubhouse. I'm sure there is something in the CBA/rules that allows them to do something through official channels, but the Astros didn't do that. They just sicced security guards on the reporter in question.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm kind of somewhere between your stance and Scout's on this, I think. Like... I kind of want to know what his issue is with the reporter, because to me there -are- some things that I can think of that would warrant his access being taken away. (Being a creep to the dude's wife would certainly qualify in my book, but again, we have no clue what the issue is.) I'm sure there is some process for doing this via the CBA / MLB rules, but I can also imagine that Verlander's agent tried to contact the paper first to keep this as low-key as possible. And then again, this could all be unwarranted, and Verlander could just be acting like a prick.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I can't find the quote in Google, but you may be right. I remember reading the quote years ago and have connected it with Lee for some reason.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the nature of the beef hasn't come out yet. This has to be something big if a team is going to these lengths and setting up a potential fight with the BBWAA and/or MLB. It had better be something big because if it is simply Verlander taking issue with an exclamation point then the organization needs to have the hammer dropped.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Does Verlander have a reputation for being a jerk to reporters in general?

6. Regan MacNeil

Occam's Razor: If the reporter did something real shitbaggy, would Verlander have hesitated to make it public? I don't think so.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Maybe he is great for the camera and shit to the notepad, but this was the first interview I watched while looking for something to post.

He’s real and a very good interview. He will use cliches while thinking of the best thing to say, but he seems to try and give a good interview.

He talks openly about tough subjects here. He’s not Steve Carlton.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Here's the Freep's full side of the story:
    Houston Astros, Justin Verlander and Detroit Free Press: Here's what happened

The tl;dr version:
    1. Verlander got pissed that Fenech tweeted something he eavesdropped from a conversation with Al Kaline about the solar eclipse two years ago?
    2. Verlander thought that Fenech asking him to call back if Verlander needed to clarify a quote in a touchy story about the Tigers possibly misdiagnosing an injury was a surreptitious attempt to get his personal cell number.
    3. The Astros still think their actions were "appropriate."

Tweener, maumann and PaperClip529 like this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

If true, Verlander is a bitch.

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

He's just another spoiled rich kid who has never been told no in his life and is upset that somebody did something to him and there were no consequences. It does not matter how big or small it was, little Justin got offended and that's all that matters. Good guy with the press or not, he's still a little bitch that is used to getting his way all of the time.

Tweener likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Still not sure how the Freep sports editor let this get so out of hand when Verlander first got pissy while still with the Tigers. Yes, the Astros are the bad guys here and that's unacceptable. But damn, Verlander had an attitude multiple times with Fenech and the SE comes off like he didn't know. So Justin got to pitch his hissy fit. Hopefully that's enough.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

We've all gotten into it with someone at some point. But usually there's a point where your boss needs to know the specifics before the reporter becomes the story.

I've had to sit down with angry high school coaches and try to mend fences. And my boss had Daytona Beach on his ass on a weekly basis (not just because of me, thankfully).

Draft saved Draft deleted