1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verlander, Astros block the Free Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Aug 22, 2019.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

So, Justin Verlander apparently banned the Freep’s Anthony Fenech from his scrum last night.

Apparently Verlander threatened to not talk at all if Fenech was in there. Interesting note: Fenech didn’t tweet about it at all last night.

Astros block Free Press from Justin Verlander’s postgame media session

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

What's the back story?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here was their original headline to their story about the game, since changed. Have there been other things that pissed off Verlander along the way?

Screenshot_20190822-110526_Chrome.jpg

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Here’s Verlander’s reasoning. Still nothing specific:

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

He has every right to not speak to a specific reporter, and even to say he will not talk to anyone if that writer is present.

But for the team to not allow the credentialed writer into the clubhouse is the very definition of a cock-bag move. That's some bullshit right there.

Tweener likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I don't think they're even allowed to do that, per MLB/BBWAA rules.

GoogieHowser and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Brad Penny did something similar when he was with the Dodgers but the team's PR department didn't get involved. Penny would just wait until the reporter left, or not speak with anyone if the reporter refused to go away. The reporter that Penny was pissed at was never prevented from entering the locker room, home or away.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'd love it if the assembled media walked out on him. But I know there's no way that will happen; nobody thinks about themselves being in that situation.

9. sporty

sporty Member

Is anyone else curious about what exactly is his issue with the reporter? I've seen athletes be assholes to a particular reporter before but never to this degree. I know I've had my share. Bob Knight use to storm out of the room right after I asked him any question. I find it also interesting that the reporter has not come forth with his version of what their issue is, which obviously extends back a couple of years. Something is missing. That being said, there is no excuse for the Astros media people to handled a credentialed media member the way they did the Freep reporter.

GoogieHowser and sgreenwell like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If this goes back, how come we haven't heard Verlander's beef before? And it has to be pretty serious in his mind to carry on this way about it.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They did. The SE tweeted at JV saying he hadn't heard from him, nor has his paper, but he's more than willing to talk.

This seems stupid.

12. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

If Justin Verlander is going as far as having his agent call the newsroom, this can't just be a "he spoke ill of me in a column once" sort of beef. I do wonder if he now wishes that he'd just given the guy a few three-word answers and moved on. This is a much bigger mess than it needs to be. Just like the Westbrook-Tramel nonsense, sometimes not speaking gives the reporter an unintended power.

Regardless, the Astros look ridiculous.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted