1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers gets $14.5M from LA Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Go on...

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Simers was a known ass.
    The late spnited would have been posting up and down this thread revealing what a king-sized dick this guy was.

Fred siegle and Severian like this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Managers got a match, but only in Gannett stock
    I told my financial adviser that and he said: “DAMN!”

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you don't take your vacation time you deserve a 2 for being a dumbass.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Youd think if they were going to plot poor reviews to keep raises down they wouldnt put an attendance question thats in no way subjective to protect the con....

But then they’re clearly imbeciles so

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Did you ever pin him down on why he couldn't have given you a higher mark? I wonder if there were quotas, so to speak, in place that had to be hit for each graded category?

It has been known to happen, in many businesses, making it so supervisors are compelled to evaluate people to certain standards, with a breakdown of how many can receive top/exceeds standards ratings, and how many should be rated as solid/average, and a certain number that must be tabbed as needing improvement/below standards.

It's all about budgets and regulating raises, whether right or fair, or not.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

In the absence of a contract that states otherwise, this is 100% legal.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I'd think, particularly in at-will states. A company actually can fire you for any reason, or no reason, and isn't actually obligated to give you anything, except maybe to allow for unemployment benefits.

If you did sue, or try to, you would be unlikely to win.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We both knew that it was a Gannett thing. He’s a good guy, who ended up being laid off from Gannett himself a couple of years before I was.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is so wrong

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The last place I worked had a 1-t0-5 scale on the evaluations. Broken record intro: "Nobody gets 5s. Grantland Rice and Jim Murray wouldn't get 5s."

They also would tell us that the average raises were 2 percent and it had to average out. So if you got 3 percent, somebody else only got 1 percent. I "almost" felt bad one time because I got 4 percent, meaning two people only got 1 percent.

The other thing they had was some sort of quartile system that, I think, was based on the pay you got when you were hired. I never understood it because, I think, the people explaining it didn't understand it either. Somebody determined that the only way to get a good pay boost was to quit and get hired back.

Tweener and MileHigh like this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

That was the big problem with the merit pay system
    The kiss asses got hefty raises and the people who did the work got shit

Draft saved Draft deleted