1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin editor quits, blasts G/O management

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I have. They were universally worse, in quality and work environment, than the ones that didn't give a shit.

Liut likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I feel for Greenwell a great deal. Deadspin is, for better and often worse, what it is - a leftist/libertarian/nihilistic sports site with talented writers and the occasional whopper of a scoop. Why change it?

Beadle will be paid to not work, I’d assume. She completely blew up her role on Get Up then never seemed much more than a mildly-interested host on a NBA show she took from Sage Steele.

3. Regan MacNeil

She didn't take it. Steele gave it away.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Smart casual is odd and can be interpreted as “the boss doesn’t think you look cool.” I’d never use it.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’d never read Steele quit the show just before the playoffs.

6. Regan MacNeil

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

8. Regan MacNeil

How well-received do you think her pro-Trump comments were by what's unquestionably the most socially progressive major sports league?

Getting rid of her was damage control; damage caused by her own words. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You wrote she gave it away.

Beadle took the job. Which is fine. If she took the job with the knowledge that Steele was being nudged out for political views, well, then she absolutely had to have her eyes open once Skipper was gone.

Maybe Skipper will hire her at DAZN for $10 million. I can imagine anyone else would want to hire her for her current asking price after the NY Post hit piece today.

10. Regan MacNeil

Sage Steele was an announcer for an NBA show. How smart do you think it was for her to make pro-Trump comments given the general political makeup of the NBA?

So, yes. She gave the job away. She gave her bosses all the rope they needed to hang her. If she hadn't made those comments, I have no doubt she'd still be the host unless they promoted her to something else.

How much clearer can I be on this?

If you disagree with me, say so and give a reason. Stop with the pedantry.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This bit is really something:

*The G/O handbook declares that the company can search employees’ “personal vehicles, parcels, purses, handbags, backpacks, briefcases, lunch boxes,” review all electronic communications made on company property, and disclose those messages to others if the company deems it appropriate. The new rules also strangely allow the company to access reporters’ “tweets” and bars employees from using encrypted email programs—a common tool journalists often use to protect highly confidential sources.*

That’s not reasonable. I can’t imagine any employee being happy with that. Even with union protection, it tells you everything you need to know.

All of us who work for a company, we understand there are business decisions that don’t mesh with the way reporters should think. You work to find what leeway you do/don’t have. Then you make your choice. I can’t fault Greenwell for making hers. Where Deadspin is going is not for her.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't see how the whole staff doesn't eventually quit over this. You can't keep being David Roth or Albert Burneko or Laura Wagner and work for G/O media without getting fired. G/O Media isn't actually interested in journalism or any version of what Deadspin was in the past or present. Also, the part about you're not allowed to use encrypted messaging (which is how Deadspin would, now, get a lot of tips that have made the site what it is) is a joke.

Alma and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted