1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holy shit, Dale Jr. ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 15, 2019.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This hit very close to home with me today. I'm glad they're OK.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sorry if it stirred any bad memories, my friend.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It did, but I took five minutes and was "OK" again. Appreciate the sentiment.

Batman, OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Glad they walked away.

If he didn’t, this would have been Von Erich shit.

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's the closest airport to BMS for a private plane. You don't have to deal with all the TSA, etc. crap flying into Tri-Cities. Sounds like it was pilot error trying to land a jet halfway down a local airport runway.
    Glad folks are OK and it wasn't a Kulwicki.
    The first time I ever interviewed Jr., he was dead tired. He complained of having to make the trip by road. We asked why he didn't come in on the DEI plane. He said Dale told him if he wanted to fly, he had to win races first. Although Dale was a prick, I gained some respect for him that day because he made the golden prince earn his way a little.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Now that he's apparently OK, I hope someone asks him if he's going to put the plane in his somewhat infamous racecar graveyard on his property.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In a world of grim news - it's nice to be thankful that this story isn't one of them. I really can't imagine how bad it would have been if it ended differently. I would almost argue that even though he's not racing anymore, Dale Jr. is more important to NASCAR now than his dad was to it back then. Granted, a lot of it has to do with where the sport is/was.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

He's one of the few remaining links to what NASCAR truly was.
    I watched his show the other night with Harry Gant, and it was awesome.
    It was followed up by Ray Evernham's show featuring David Pearson, and that fired me up, too.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Goes to show, the HANS device does work!

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I was going to say that for a sport that's lost too many good guys to plane crashes ... whew, glad he and the family are safe.

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

For those who cover or have covered NASCAR, is Dale Jr. really as genuine or as good to those around him as he seems to be? He really does seem to still be the face and voice of the sport going forward.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted