1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

It gets you a like from me:)

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Alma, I don't agree and am trying to not let my personal experience and emotions enter into this. I'm failing. The Church, at least the conservative evangelical part of the body of Christ in this country has become an arm of the current government and vice versa. Of course they are calling the shots. Look at the extent to which personal morality is being legislated.

The UMC acquiesced to the bigots. Family and friends who are Methodist are heartbroken, some are reeling, some have left the church that has been spiritual home to them and their ancestors. This hardly looks like a lurch to the left.

This is where the Episcopal Church was a decade, decade and change ago. It's painful to know that your fellow congregants could be so...Unchristian. I'm just not that nice. When it happened, I suggested that maybe the African congregations could do without our filthy liberal money and the idiots who wanted to add fine print to the definition of who could be part of the club could find their own real estate, vestments, pay their own damned bills, etc.

No patience left for the Christians who are effing winning whining because they want all the toys and the love or at least the bully's wet dream of being feared if not loved and respected.

Now I have to go spend some time with the heavy bag.

Signed,
    Really Fcking Angry Woman Who Wore A Verger's Collar At One Point In Her Life.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Inky_Wretch and TowelWaver like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

the new Tool album is going to be amazing

OscarMadison and Iron_chet like this.
  9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Back when Mossad was truly great, Stephen Miller, Steve Bannon and Sebastian Gorka would have all had bullets pumped into their heads by now, as a sort of gentle warning toward anyone who would appoint them to any positions of influence or political power.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Recessions are weird. Obviously demand lessens at some point, but one group cuts production, another group cuts it because their business is dependent on the first group - other groups don't want to be left holding the ball and they roll back production, yada, yada, yada...Recession. The flapping of butterfly wings.

As for Trump interfering with the travel of a CoDel - add another line to the impeachment inquiry.

garrow and HanSenSE like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

I have an acquaintance who recently graduated seminary and became a UMC Deaconess. She can't become a priest/preacher because the UMC does not ordain women. Shortly before she graduated I witnessed her distress about the recent events within her church. She's a good woman who is truly torn over the positions her church has taken. I have to wonder how long she will be able to remain a member of her denomination, as her conscience is truly torn.

I'm a cradle Episcopalian. Our church had a female rector for years without any issues, or more properly the issues that there were had more to do with her handling of personnel and interpersonal relationships, not her being female. The church is in Shelby County - the same Shelby County involved in the Supreme Court decision which weakened the voting rights act. It is a conservative Republican stronghold in a bright red state. We have both liberal aging hippies and traditional three piece suit Republicans in the congregation.

The church suffered the loss of perhaps a third of the most active congregants as a result of forcing out of his position a long time and very active member because he was gay and active in working with the church youth. There was no hint of any form of impropriety on his part, but there were people who were afraid that he would molest their children or infect them with teh gay. The hard feelings were such that people left in droves. Our female rector made that decision, and as a result she too is now gone.

"Judge not lest ye also be judged" went right out the window, replaced by fear, prejudice, and politically driven decisions. Bad for the church, and a very un-Christian episode in my opinion.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I won't address the first graf because I feel like I've written, pretty clearly, that the power is waning. And it is. It'll be especially true after Trump.

On the rest, I have little to add, other than this: The point I'm making about a "leftward" movement relates to how the American side of the UMC viewed the issue vs. the African churches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.