1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If you're an Old Testament fella, than yeah, I suppose it is. But so is football. And working on the Sabbath.

Why are football and working on the Sabbath socially acceptable but being gay isn't?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You wrote non-straight and non-white. It was one of the two categories you wrote down.

If you can't imagine a better time, you can't imagine a better time. I mentioned the 1994 Crime Bill because one might conceive of the time before its passage being better. You can't imagine it. OK.

3. Regan MacNeil

I still want to know what you think.

When was the peak time for American society? All of American society.

If it's not 2016, when was it? And why?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I believe the church universal has been reading the New Testament quite a bit over many centuries. Particularly 1 Corinthians 6:9. But I also know there are, well, lots of arguments about how that verse should be translated. And there's Romans 1:18-27. But I also know there are, well, lots of arguments about that one, too.

I'm sure your pastor has all the counterarguments and rationalizations to those two passages that you could ever want - I'm sure they know better! - but, rest assured, he or she has read those passages, which happen to be in the New Testament.

7. Neutral Corner

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As you've subsequently shown in numerous posts above, the difference between you and I is that you insist on categorizing someone based on a demographic, and then applying your opinion of that demographic's standard of living. Me, on the other hand, I prefer to look at all people as equals, and then decide as a whole, do I think all of us were, despite the so obvious destructive forces, a few of which you point out, living a better life in 2016 than at any time previous or since. And I'd say the answer is yes.

9. Regan MacNeil

"I'm sure they know better!"?

One could almost infer you think gays are sinners and doomed to Hell.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

For instance?

11. Neutral Corner

"Suicide rates skyrocketing, overdose deaths, too, a nation in protest over police violence, off-the-charts income disparity, health care fiascoes everywhere, US academic performance lagging far behind other developed nations..."

I would question how many of those problems listed were a direct result of Republican policies or the R's blocking Obama in Congress.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For a long, long, long time, the church thought "race mixing" was a sin. So was divorce. And drinking alcohol. And gambling. And dancing. And secular music.

The question to me isn't "What has the church thought of topic X in the past?" Instead, I'm interested in what we can do to reach more people with the healing power of Christ's love and forgiveness. And telling folks "Sorry, but you aren't welcome" isn't how you do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.