1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So is your argument that blacks had it better in 1993 than in 2016?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No.

My question didn't have anything to do with black Americans. Your answer did. Well, it sort of did - it mentioned non-whites, which would mean anyone of color.

I think you might have picked 2016 for what it meant for LGBT Americans more than what it meant for non-white Americans. I'm not sure there's a ton of argument on whether 2016 was better for them vs., say, 1993. I suspect the conversation for all non-white folks is much more complicated. But it's possible you've sorted through all that and arrived at the summer of 2016 as the apogee for all. Given that, I make some assumptions about your framework and say you're gonna love the future. For the things you appear to deem important, I think the future's going to be real good. Ohio State football good. Maybe Clemson.

4. Regan MacNeil

Then why did you mention the 1994 Crime Bill?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Somehow, when I tell people they're going to get the future they want, it bugs them. I mean, maybe I'm wrong - I'm wrong all the time - but I'm not being facetious when I write it.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

In Greek myth even the gods could suffer ridicule and torment.
    So it goes for the orange floater.
    He seems unusually restrained today. Maybe in a carb coma.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've told that to fellow members of my own UMC congregation. Last I checked "Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors." didn't have an asterisk with "* - unless you're gay" in fine print.

Nobody is gay or straight in church. We're all sinners.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because I was wondering if you had considered it in your "best in American history" answer. Like I said, if we're picking "best in American history" for LGBT rights and expression, hell, can't do much better than 2016. No debate. Good answer. Best for non-whites? I dunno. I could see multiple answers. But perhaps that it's best-ever for non-straight people superseded the degree of how good it was for anyone else. It depends on how you prioritize it.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's not what is doing it. It's that the religious lobby, the evangelicals, all the various constituencies who claim to hold the Christian ethical high ground, have abandoned the basic precepts of the faith in their support of Trump. As has been said often, Trump is who he is and has been for years, and everyone pretty much knew it. What is turning much of the population as a whole against "the Christian faith" is their decision that packing the courts with friends of their ideology and a chance to beat Roe is worth abandoning the moral and ethical core of Christianity.

Turning their backs on "as you do for the least of these", "suffer the little children to come unto me", and "love your neighbor as thyself" and embracing tax cuts, racism, and the prosperity gospel, the sheer cynical hypocrisy and abandonment of New Testament teaching is the root cause, not Trump in the White House.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Deskgrunt50, HanSenSE and TowelWaver like this.
  10. Regan MacNeil

Not really. And it's strange that you apply a gays-only slant to my viewpoint. I also can't imagine a better time for blacks in America than 2016. Maybe you can, but I can't.

Same with Latinx, Asians, etc.

I mean, maybe Muslims (obviously not a race) had it better here pre-9/11. I haven't really seen any studies comparing the eras for them.

But why are you focusing on gays? And more, why do you think I'm only focusing on gays when I gave zero indication that I was doing so?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Right. But it wasn't the American delegation that on whole embraced traditionalism to the degree the African church did. It is with them whom you have your overall beef.

As for that last line, I mean, yeah, that idea matters in terms of our humility toward God and (sort of) our judgment of others. But if practicing a homosexual lifestyle is a sin, then Romans 6 is a pretty basic answer to practicing that lifestyle. (Romans 6 is an answer to the practice of any habitual sin.)

If you think it isn't a sin, well, for a long, long, long time in the church, it was pretty universally seen as one, and so, if it's not, it's possible one might have to argue why it isn't.

Sexual sin shows up more than once in Paul's letters, so, it's not, like, just a meh topic.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

You're right. Executing homosexuals is Christ-like leadership of the church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.