1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Number One super guy.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It might be the single biggest thing to damage the overall Christian witness in America.

We may be talking about different things here. You got a beef with Christians that you wanna work out, hell, I'd probably agree with a lot of the critique. But on the matter of whether theocratic fascism is happening? It ain't. And in a decade's time, after Christian leaders who stood behind Trump have been discarded and lost all useful reputation in culture, you'll see what I mean. Christians are absolutely going to lose control. In many places - schools - they already have.

And it will not, for the sake of a good Christian witness, be the worst thing, losing control. But we'll have to contend with a government increasingly hostile to Christian aims. I'm certainly not feeling sorry for myself.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If we're gonna talk about trends, let's talk about Trumpist/SEC state legislatures for a moment.
    Would you say most of the laws recently passed at the state level promote abortion rights or government restrictions on abortion? How's that one trending? It's clearly the issue about which Trumpist/SEC Pseudo Christians care most fervently.
    In which direction is climate change policy headed?
    How about immigrants, for whom Jesus appears to advocate but whom Trumpist Pseudo Christians hate? Is this country likely to admit more immigrants or fewer immigrants in the next couple of years?
    What of gun control? Has anything been done since Sandy Hook? Has the fedruhl government taken their blessed guns, to which they hold more dearly than any doctrine of peace? Any serious reform under discussion when Congress gets back from its extended vacation?
    Let me know how those things are going.

heyabbott likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How they're going? Or where they're gonna be in 5-10 years? One day, I think you're gonna get so much of what you want at the national level - dunno about climate change - that you'll have to look for a reason to be miserable.

On the state legislatures, you can blame Democrats. Really. They consistently saw less value in smaller offices that shape policy at the state level, consistently got outspent, consistently failed to find good candidates, consistently lost as a result. And then, of course, a lot of the Democrats that would run were either people you couldn't take all that seriously or too-far left candidates. But that shifted significantly in 2018 and will continue to do so in 2020. Trump is so toxic that he inspired more good candidates to run. Especially women.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is true. The GOP was visionary in the way it targeted state legislatures.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, that and further-left Democrats tend to care way more about national politics than they do shaping local narratives. That's why so many are clustered in a few spots; they want to be around people who think like they do and will do so at some financial cost.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Is this an example of shifting the Overton Window?

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He had virtually no shot with the way the party direction is headed. And he's no shoo-in to get the party nomination in the Senate race if he decides to run, even with a poll showing him miles ahead of every other Democrat in the state. He's not truly embraced by the progressive wing in the state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.