1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Helluva scandal building in the Texas lege

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oscar Madison dropped a link to an old Texas Monthly article over in the Southern Rock thread. As I read it, I noticed a headline in the current links on the page.

"The Speaker and the Creeper: Everything you need to know about the craziest Texas political scandal in years".

So, sure, I clicked through. It's a good article, one helluva scandal brewing with the 2020 elections on the horizon, and besides I have to love an article with the line "and then his enemies punched themselves in the nuts."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/texas-house-speaker-dennis-bonnen-michael-quinn-sullivan/

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I want to read this in Molly Ivins' voice but I'm not sure if the copy is folksy enough for it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I tried. It ain’t.

I think I need a Jim Hightower version, though.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Bonnen is toast, but in the grand scheme of things it’ll barely move the needle. Nobody in Texas cares much about state house politics. It’s all about Trump and the statewide races.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's a grand and glorious fuck-up though.

And lord, yes, I wish Miss Molly was alive to write it... or about Trump.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted