1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Walmart turn into America's loony bin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There is a difference in quality. You go to Walmart and pay $18 for a pair of Wrangler jeans, and you go to a different store (say, Tractor Supply) and Wranglers are close to $40. But the two jeans are of entirely different quality. I can't speak for Target because I rarely ever shop there, but you'll tell the difference after a year of wear. I can't tell you how many times I've ripped the seat of my Walmart jeans just sitting down.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Try midnight, 1 a.m., 2 a.m., 3 a.m.

BadgerBeer and maumann like this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oftentimes, they are lower online. But, also, many times, they are the same, and, occasionally, they will even be higher online than in-store. Depends on the item, the week, online promotions, whether things are on rollback in stores, etc. My recommendation is not to go too crazy trying to figure what's what at any given time, and, if you want an item, and you're not going into the store anytime soon, just order it online. Or, if you're in the store and see it for a reasonable price, just purchase it.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Walmart doesn't string tennis rackets (or even sell string), so there are at least a couple of mom and pop stores I still frequent.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I have seen prices differ by store. We have two superstores in our community, which is comprised of two neighboring cities, and I have noticed differences.

I needed printer ink and one store was out so I went to the other and it was a dollar more.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Yep, that can happen, too. One store may, for example, have an overabundance of an item (say, printer ink), and decide to do a markdown in hopes of selling through them. One store may have an item on clearance, while another doesn't. Or, one store might have been sent pallets worth of an item (whether it ordered them or not, because the item is being cleared from the warehouse), while another wasn't sent any. And, sometimes, there are market-specific promotions...Prices are usually the same, but not guaranteed to be so, and they're not always.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At Tractor Supply you’re probably getting the Wrangler ProRodeo jeans that the cowboys wear. You can’t always get them at Walmart, but when you can they’re the same 13MWZ or 31MWZ jeans — just cheaper.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

My first experience with a Walmart was in a rural community and it is completely different from the Walmart near me now in a large metropolitan area. The one in the rural area was great: easy to get to, not too crowded, competitive with the local supermarkets. The one near me now is fucking awful. It is crowded from the parking lot through checkout, where there are about three checkout lanes available. The layout is cramped and just a pain in the ass. Every fucking aisle I am running into somebody. It is not a place to just pick something up so every person is wandering around with a full cart and it takes about five minutes for them to checkout.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Three checkout lanes is not nearly as bad as seventeen lanes and three checkers... during prime shopping time at that.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Know who is among the highest-paid employees at your typical Walmart? The guys who wheel the shopping carts from the parking lot back into the store. How about that shit.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seeing where some carts end up, I'm not sure they shouldn't be the highest-paid.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I wear the $18 Walmart Wranglers, and the usually last me for years.
    Now I don't wear jeans every day. I don't wear them to work, and from at least April to November, I'm usually wearing khaki shorts when I'm not at work, but the Walmart Wranglers are a good value for someone who isn't concerned about fashion.

2muchcoffeeman and ChrisLong like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted