1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did Walmart turn into America's loony bin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Walmart has lapped the field as the No. 1 brick and mortar retailer. Most Supercenter locations are open 24-7. So just by the percentages they’re going to draw a huge number of the idiots, the drunks and the general detritus of America.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Walmart is also the closest thing many areas have to a Main St. where people can congregate. Malls are dying. Main Sts. have been dead a long time.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I used to live about a mile from the one where the guy showed up fully armed. Thank God I'm long gone from there now.

The biggest appeal I've seen for Wal-Mart is their prices. The meat and produce were sometimes sketchy, so always went elsewhere for that. But for everything else - toiletries, paper goods, pet food, canned food, boxed food, milk, eggs and frozen stuff - all seemed to be way cheaper than anywhere else.

I never liked what they did to the "mom and pop" stores, but on a good-sized monthly run for non-meat and non-produce, if I can get for $75 what would cost me $100 or $110 at other places, I'll hold my nose and go the Wal-Mart route.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Look: I’ll make fun of the people of Wal-Mart as quick as anyone.

But speaking practically: It’s a wonderful thing to live in a time and place where I can drive five minutes to one store, 24-7, 365, and buy virtually anything I need.

jr/shotglass, BTExpress and Driftwood like this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've only been in one twice. I will fight like hell to avoid a third.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Aldi kicks Walmart's and everyone else's asses on prices. I saw they had six-packs of German pilseners on sale for $5.99 and my eyes bugged out.

But Aldi doesn't offer the selection of goods and services that Wally World offers. You can go to the bank, get your hair cut, get your oil changed and shop, all at the same place.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Wal Mart is Trump's America.
    Here are the 10 states with the most Wal Mart properties per capita:
    Arkansas
    Oklahoma
    Louisiana
    Alabama
    Kansas
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    New Mexico
    South Carolina
    Nebraska

What do they have in common? Save New Mexico, they're overly Trumpist. Collectively, they are far less educated than the rest of the country. (Kansas does have a higher BA/BS grad rate than the national average. Other nine are below) Collectively, they are far more likely to have gun violence than the rest of the country. (Nebraska has a lower gun death rate than the national average. All others are above.)
    Some things go hand in hand.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There’s also no properties trump has a financial interest.

10. Also the largest private employer in many states; particularly in poor, southern areas.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Their hard root beer and elderflower cider are things of beauty.

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I don't hang out/socialize at Walmart. I don't generally go for only one thing. When I go, it's a surgical strike; have the paths to what I need already in mind, get it, and get out.
    I also can't fathom having never been to Walmart. Soap, toothpaste, reading glasses, deodorant, Christmas lights, paint, picture frames, oil, oil filter, fishing gear, TVs, shoe polish, socks, underwear, beer, bluejeans, groceries, toilet paper... these are just a few of the things I've purchased at Walmart in the last year.
    I've said before, the only people who don't shop at Walmart are the people who can afford not to shop at Walmart or live where there are other options.

Draft saved Draft deleted