1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular places you have no desire to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I went to Brazil (Rio and São Paulo) a few times on business. It was unbelievably dangerous and corrupt. We traveled with armed security and still were hit up by the police for bribes in both places. Never again.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When the kids were young, we bought the family pack to Kings Dominion just north of Richmond. Wife, both kids and their cousin. I had no interest. They'd go 3-4 times a summer and I'd have a day to myself. I did enjoy an occasional trip to Water Country in Williamsburg but that was about it. Not a roller coaster fan, not a crowd fan. Give me a beach and a book and/or fishing rod and I'm good.

I've been abroad several times and enjoyed it but there a lot of places in the U.S. I still want to visit. So I'd take San Francisco over Paris, Seattle over Rome, that kind of thing.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Had a neighbor who traveled to Brazil (Sao Paulo) on business. He was the victim of a mass armed robbery IN THE HOTEL CHECK-IN LINE! That pretty much ended my Brazil interest, though of course if any media outlet had offered to pay my way to the World Cup or Olympics I'd of been right there.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

India.

My gf really wants to go, and I'm game for a lot of country, but India is where I draw the line. I have no interest ever visiting.

5. Severian

My friends and I visited a few weeks ago and had an absolute blast. Soak City really helped because the day was a scorcher.

6. Severian

Miami is fun if you're in the food and culture. Whatever you, never, ever go to South Beach. It's a tourist trap. You'll find plenty of beaches in North Miami. Also, prepare to deal with traffic and learn at least some basic Spanish.

7. Severian

Orlando is the worst city in Florida.

If you ever plan to visit Florida, avoid that city like the plague.

exmediahack and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You have no idea what you now owe me.

FileNotFound and WriteThinking like this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

My parents are hardcore travellers, and they went to India with some trepidation. They loved it, thought it was fascinating, but it was not a vacation. They came back exhausted from the heat and the crush. They're glad they went, absolutely. It's just not someplace you go to get away from it all.

I'd like to go, too, but I am positive I would get very sick there.

Tweener likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The driving in India is like the asteroids scene in Star Wars.
    If that doesn't kill you the water will.
    But then the squirts will only last a few days and you're good as new.
    Consider it a sort of pressure wash for the insides.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Remember trying to Google map them an escape route in - was it Cairo?

Travel!

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was there a few years ago in June for a conference. Didn't care for it at all. I assume Miami is much like it, except maybe better culture and food, as you mentioned.

Orlando just seemed totally fake with miserable weather.

Draft saved Draft deleted