1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, season five:

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Coach Jason Brown was interviewed on Improv4Humans, Matt Besser's improv podcast.

Moofricking with Coach Jason Brown, episode #407 of improv4humans with Matt Besser on Earwolf

At about 35:00.

Besser is from Arkansas and a big sports fan. He seems really into the show and the coach, who swears every other word in the interview. I haven't watched Coach Brown's season(s?), but he seems really messed up. If it's an improv bit, it is one of the most realistic.

Holy fuck. Around the 47 minute mark he discusses the German kid and the Hitler remark.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I'm biased toward the EMCC seasons because I live in Mississippi and am very familiar with what is known as here as Scooba Tech. Buddy Stephens was your classic "win at all costs" coach and by the end of their run on Last Chance U, his schtick was tiring.

The first Indy season was fascinating and Jason Brown was a can't-miss trainwreck of a coach. The second season was pure Shakespearean tragedy with all of the dissension in that locker room. It was more interesting watching them lose.

Ultimately, Brown was a disaster as a football coach. His teams reflected his lack of character and organization on the field. He was also pure garbage as an Xs and Os coach.

I understand that JUCO teams don't have time to install a complex playbook, but his was more simple than a coloring book.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Ehh, complex playbooks are overrated by a lot.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Two things.

1. I'm trying to catch up and just got through episode 4. The Garden City coach seems like a shit. I mean, I know the main featured coaches are shits, but to roll with the high and mighty, we're better than that stuff and act like a shit, yelling at random staffers about how much they talked? Mutter something rude under your breath and have your shit in line. Granted, the folks making it seems to relish making him look like a prig.

2. The Oakland one should be fascinating. You're going from places where someone might care to a play were almost no one gives a fuck, at all. Their coach is a local HS legend who pulled a lot of kids out of the bad parts of town to the most affluent HS and sent plenty on to colleges, so perhaps he'll be a change of pace.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Markiese also got kicked off the team....so takes one to know one?

And I'm not going to label anyone as a team killer because he wasn't fully bought in on a coach that everyone here seems to universally believe wasn't worth a shit. He isn't the first juco kid to look out for himself.

I'm not a Nevada fan, but his results there will speak better for him than either one of us can.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Saw Dakota Allen playing for the Rams tonight. Announcers said he was the first player from Last Chance U to be drafted.

Laney will be different, as was said above. I don't follow the JCs anymore, but all of those rankings and national championships that the previous teams were playing for, it did not include the California schools. They have their own organization -- California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA).

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When I was on the JC beat in the 90s, the coach of the team I covered explained to me there were as many football-playing JCs in California as there were in the rest of the country. A number of out-of-state players still manage there way out here, though. Games between Merced and Modesto JC were usually good bulletin board material for both schools, since Merced had a lot of out-of-district players and Modesto generally recruited locally. In fact, the coach showed me the bulletin board in the team meeting trailer one year, with stories from me and my paper's competitor.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Back in the day, Bakersfield filled its 20,000-seat stadium.
    Lots of legends we were aware of. Warren Moon still went by Harold Moon at West L.A. College. Keyshawn Johnson, also at WLA, caught a long touchdown pass, ran through the end zone to a food truck parked on the track. He grabbed a hot dog and started eating it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Curmudgeon-
    The college ranks are full of guys with Henry's potential and with better heads on their shoulders than Henry.
    I said upthread I believe he is a legitimate depressive who does not need to be playing football.
    I hope he makes it wherever he wants football to take him, but the college football sluice has a way of discarding those who lack certain essentials.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yes there are a lot of talented high school football players that do fuck all in college. Not a revelation. I live in central Florida...I can write a book on kids from this area that had no chance in college and probably shouldn't graduated from high school.

Henry is a kid with a lot of issues. He wasn't a team killer. He left FSU because of a drug problem, he didn't recruit himself there...and Jimbo Fisher knew about his many issues but liked his talent and felt like he mold him. His mistake.

My disagreement with you is basing so much of an opinion on him based on this show. For starters he didn't bring himself back on that team. The stupid-ass coach brought him out and fucked with all the quarterbacks so I'm going to give him a mulligan for being flaky with ICC because it was a horrible situation for all those guys. At a certain point he decided to go into business for himself and that was probably the smartest thing he did. The coach that was at ICC the year before and dealt with Henry got a paying job at FAU out of it so it isn't all bad associated with him.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Brown was a complete dope who straight-up lied to Jay Jones, the quarterbacks coach and the other guys on that unit.
    No argument there.
    Henry's an uncoachable headcase. Can't win with 'em, as Mike Singletary said.
    I mean the kid not only started calling his own plays without permission but fuckin announced he would.
    ICC is small time (and has earned every inch of it) but what a joke at any level.

Draft saved Draft deleted