1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last Chance U

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2016.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'd detected a weird sort of sexual tension between her and a few of the players, particularly Olley.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Indy resident: Brown is a very good coach; and a very bad person

Teacher: You forgot your glasses?
    Student: Yeah.
    Teacher: When you go to football practice, do you forget our pads?
    Student: No.
    Teacher: Then how can you go to class and forget your glasses?

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

They might have mentioned it in a previous season but almost none of these players were at the school on a scholarship.

That's another reason why the administration might want to coddle the players. Most of them - or financial aid - are paying out of state tuition. Financially you'd want them around for a second semester.

That also might explain what happened with Brown....

For the board, screwing around with an international student must have been the final straw. They must have dreamed of a whole stream of them, each paying $226 an academic hour. Brown texted the wrong middle-class German whose parents were content to sink money into an academic rat-hole.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I detected a genuine like for Ollie, like most of the teachers had for Ollie and the Kansas group had for the defensive lineman that ended up at Arkansas State. They seemed like likable kids. They all generally sucked at school or they wouldn't be in these JUCO football factories in this shit town to begin with. I see Ollie is doing a free youth football camp in his old neighborhood in Texas. Good for him.

I always those the Scooba woman was getting down with the DL coach because they hung out a lot in Season 2. But I think they were just friends and Buddy Stephens is such a worthless POS that she didn't want to interact with him. I tell you what, she got more out of that show than damn near anyone. She has a national consulting business as sort of a concierge academic advisors with high schools and colleges and she's going to be portrayed in a TV show by Courtney Cox.

You think these other teachers didn't see her success and think "we should develop close relationships with these athletes."

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

Nafselon-
    Davern Williams was the D-line coach. He's now at Troy. Had a cup of coffee in the NFL as a player.
    I thought of all the jokers who coached in this series, Williams was the only one who seemed to have a future in the higher ranks.
    Although I read earlier today that Frank Diaz latched on as a GA at Florida Atlantic under Kiffin.

nafselon likes this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised Williams made it to the D1 coaching ranks. Like you said, he looked and conducted himself most like a coach that had the potential to move forward. He was able to communicate with the players and get them to work. He didn't kiss their ass and he wasn't an asshole to them. Just a solid coach all around. Good to hear that he's on the D1 level now and probably making some good coin.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If you've ever been in Independence, KS during Newollah........you won't forget it.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Especially if you're a visiting team player and you have to wait and wait past a scheduled 9 p.m. kickoff because the band contest is going long.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Williams was a real impressive coach.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

I respected Williams very much and hope he goes places.
    He did not suffer fools but he loved on those kids too when they needed it. Just the right balance at that level.
    Buddy is straight-up sociopath - he might say he loves the kids but the tape don't lie.
    I believe Brown does care about the kids. But he's as broken inside as many of them are.

HappyCurmudgeon and Jake_Taylor like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I have yet to see Brown interviewed and not see a booze glass.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

One note before I blaze up and watch the rest of the season.
    Garden City CC coach Jeff Sims is now head coach at Div. II Missouri Southern State.
    Remember the kid from childhood who would shoot his mouth off while running the other way? That's this guy.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted