1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Alma, I understand where you're coming from on this, at least generally, but I'm curious what you think the solution is. As far as I've seen, AOC and her squad really haven't been doing much more than preaching to their own choir. She's not out staging rallies or holding press conferences or whatever. She definitely has a theatrical style on social media, in hearings, in interviews, but that's who she is. Do you think she should change her style? Should she stop using social media? Because everything else is a product of the media and/or Republicans amplifying her and telling everybody to focus on her. It's no different than if Obama had decided on a whim to spend all day every day ripping Rand Paul or some other counterculture GOP weirdo and insisting that he was the face of the Republican party, and he was then backed up by a television network that was the sole source of information for his base. The GOP wants to go back to the Gold Standard!

I'm not an AOC fan, from a policy perspective. I agree with you that the Dems are fucked if they end of getting branded as the party of her particular viewpoints. But it's on the rest of the party to get their heads out of their asses and come up with a coherent message and stand for whatever it is that they stand for as loudly and strongly as she stands for her particular platform. The lack of that sort of thing was the second biggest reason the Dems lost in 2016 behind Hilary's unfavorability ratings. I hope in the long run she will be good for the party because she is currently in the process of showing everybody that, in a post-Trump world, you need to have a concrete message and you need to repeat it loudly and plainly in order for anybody to pay attention to you.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Amy,

I’ve got a question. I once heard baseball players have to pay state income taxes for each away game.

That seems insane. Why?

Thanks for any insight.

VB

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I seem to recall this church sign being mentioned upstream a bit.

4. Neutral Corner

5. Neutral Corner

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

please do not speak of my total exoneration

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fox would do that even if she didn’t go on their shows.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree. Going on there to spike the football - or whatever you imagine she’d do - would legitimize it.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If Bill Maher had thought this poster up everyone would be laughing their asses off.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

As I've said before, this is Mueller's opportunity to be on the right side of the law and of history. If he knows something, speak up. I'm not talking about opinion or conjecture. State the facts as they were discovered. If they hang someone, so be it. If they totally clear everybody, that's fine, too.

If he knows something and doesn't come forward because the people whom it would harm have a vested interest in gagging him, well, he's is one of them and not the man of integrity that he's been made out to be. Facts and the truth should not be contained by political guidelines and policy. Either something happened or it didn't.

The Democrats on the committee need to ask very direct, yes or no questions. Don't give him room for ambiguity. Don't ask his opinion. Don't ask for his characterization. Don't ask him if anyone should be prosecuted. Pull the questions directly from the report. "Did XYZ happen?" "Who made XYZ happen?" "Did Barr's summation of your report reflect your findings."

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A church in the city where Lee, the biggest domestic terrorist in U.S. history, surrendered to Grant and should have been summarily shot outside the courthouse. There's a message in there somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.