1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dan Le Batard sitting out his own radio show

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think the definition of "political" can sometimes be an interesting one. If Trump is a racist, and you call out his racism, are you being political? Or are you calling out racism?

JackReacher likes this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He taking a knee?

bpoindexter and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Talk about taking a shit in your own backyard.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Sometimes your conscience wins, man. Usually the instant before you do the right thing.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

"I don't wanna hear no politics on the sports radio!"

*Forwards racist email*
    *Tells random Honduran Walmart shopper to go back to Mexico*

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I could live to be 1,000 years old, and I will never understand why people insist on talking politics on a show like that. ESPECIALLY a show like his.

He's going to piss off or alienate 2/3 of his audience.
    The right.
    The left.
    The people who don't care, and who want to tune into a talk show without having to be subjected to politics.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What a pointless gesture.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

We're blasted with a firehose of this shit 24/7 - it's not too much to ask that there be one place that's free of it.
    ESPN lets the guy do a pretty bad show regularly with his father. He has no appreciation for any of that.

playthrough, HanSenSE and Chef2 like this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Probably because they think politics has gravitas, the big leagues of commentary, so if their opinion is worth a damn in sports, it'll probably be worth a damn in that arena. Maybe they're right. But don't be surprised by consequences.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. My impression is that if you are listening to the show, you expect to hear his opinion. He might be talking about something occurring in sports, but his larger political opinion on the issue is clear.

For me, his appeal is going beyond the typical sports radio stuff, and that means he is going to have an opinion. So if I disagree with him, I'm not upset. It's just the nature of the show and what makes it interesting.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I wish there was a love button.

Draft saved Draft deleted