1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

148th Open Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 1, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That tee shot by TW on 18 looked like the typical hackers weak flare.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I was trying to savor the experience and make it last as long as possible! I also seemed to remember it wasn't very expensive, something like 55 pounds and I don't remember a lot of people being out there. We didn't wait on any holes. It was also in September, though.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Some observations through the first two days.
    I've watched A LOT of golf over the last two days. I saw both first tee shots at 12:30 am local time. I'm guessing I've watched somewhere between 16-18 hours of coverage.

1. I need to visit Willie at The Harbour Bar.
    2. I generally feel bad for Clarke and McIlroy for missing the cut.
    3. If the temperature is below 85, Tiger just needs to WD and save himself. The cool temps do him no favors.
    4. Koepka just walks around like he's got a 20-inch wang, has several million in the bank, and is giving the old pork pistol to a smoking hot piece whenever he wants. Just the strut of not having a shit of a care in the world.
    5. I'm going to visit Ireland for a week, then go to The Open the next week. I don't know when, but I will. My dad played Ballybunion and Lahinch many years ago and said it was incredible.
    6. Tirico and Faldo are very very good together. Add Torrance into it and it's awesome. I still think it was better with ESPN though.
    7. When the weather comes through tomorrow, you could see -6 or -7 winning this.
    8. JB Holmes is fascinating to watch. He takes forever to get ready to play a shot, but is very fast when he actually hits it. It's like he knows there is a 30 second clock. He gets yardage and whatever for the first 25, then this little buzzer goes off and it's a sprint.
    9. I can't watch the Mercedes commercial with the dog anymore. I just can't.
    10. I'm day drinking right now watching golf. Life is good.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I played Ballybunion and Lahinch 40 years ago and they are indeed fabulous courses. Very, very, very hard fabulous courses.

5. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

David Duval's family should hold an intervention when he gets back home. No more golf in public. You're embarrassing us.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's would be so Open for Lee Westwood to finally break through and get his first major.

Chef2 likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think Koepka wins it but rooting for Westwood.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Koepka obviously can win it and well might, but he's got to start making some putts.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No Tiger?

TigerVols likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn Lowry is torching the field; big credit to him doing it there so near to home with that pressure. Just would like to see a closer contest to make tomorrow interesting. Never know though with 18 holes left.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Tomorrow should be peak British Open. If he can avoid a blow up

Draft saved Draft deleted