1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starbucks to newspapers: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Jul 12, 2019.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Over the past year traveling with the fiancee, we've probably stayed about 10 nights at various hotels - La Quinta, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Homewood Suites. No "paper under the door" at any of them, although we would see them in the lobby and at the front desk.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I did an experiment and read some daily rags recently while getting a coffee. To the suits out there ... one thing I've found. the only articles that stopped me (in the actual print fishwrap) and had me read them were Dear Abby, maybe a national column on the editorial page if it looked interesting via the headline and local editorial if headline was compelling. I was not tempted to read any national news story and none of the local features or stories drew my interest enough to read them. As far as sports, nope. Nothing made me stop and read. In conclusion ... Dear Abby, news editorials and if any sports column looked readable. The daily news product is dead, folks. Go all online now. I would guess the only subscribers are the boomers who can't give it up. Too used to reading it with breakfast to break the habit. After reading actual print editions a few days in a row, I can now see why nobody under 50 would even consider reading a newspaper. They are boring, look boring and read boring.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So does this mean that cops like newspapers, in the enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend sense?

Draft saved Draft deleted