1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike people are the worst

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Whenever I ride my bike, getting hit by a car or doored is almost never not on my mind. Fear is definitely a reason people don't bike more, especially in cities, where bicycle commuting would otherwise make sense—and should, in a good world, be encouraged.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ridership and mileage go up as risk goes down.

Here in NYC, the number of daily trips by bicycle has tripled as cycling infrastructure made riding safer. Access to rideshare programs helps, too.

NYC DOT - Bicyclists - Cycling In The City

OscarMadison and CD Boogie like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I love seeing people on City Bike. Manhattan especially seems like a great place to bike bc it's relatively flat and there is a preponderance of bike lanes. The people I see biking know how to bike. The guy I referenced in my initial diatribe was being a yutz.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It is, but even with the new bike lanes it's still a real pinball game. The trick here is to ride very deliberately. Slow down to go faster.

And there are plenty of bad bike riders here, too. Don't get me wrong.

5. typefitter

One of the problems is that quite a few people see a bad cyclist and think "Fucking cyclists." Nobody sees a bad driver and thinks all drivers are bad.

misterbc, HC and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Good riders everywhere, courteous riders, bear the brunt of bad riders' stupidities.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Many cities were quick to scoop up the scooter money and most are now trying to figure out on the fly how the hell those can co-exist with pedestrians, bikes and cars. I get really pissed when I see them on sidewalks, whizzing around people, and then on the roads a whole lot of them don't seem to obey bike lanes or any other traffic rules. And 99.8 percent of the time the riders aren't wearing helmets. But the scooter companies shrug and say the label on the unit (bwahaha) encourages helmets, riding on the road and obeying traffic laws.

And then there's the whole other issue about where people leave them, creating visual diarrhea all over town and safety concerns when a bunch are stacked up at a street corner. One was left in front of my house for a few days and I really wanted to throw it in my trash, but I'm sure its GPS device would have somehow ratted me out and got me in trouble.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The problem with the scooters in downtown Nashville is they litter lower Broadway, 2nd Avenue, and the Gulch where it has become a destination for people to get trashed drunk by 10 a.m.
    Drunks on motorized scooters, heavy traffic, countless pedestrians, endless construction, etc. is just a bad recipe.

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One of my cycling club members was hit last night (before dark) while riding solo just outside of town on a rural road. It's a route we ride quite often. Great sightlines, pretty flat and straight with a good shoulder.

His family sent this to the club's email list, "a neurosurgeon removed a blood clot off his brain. He has a severe traumatic brain injury, spine fractures, a large laceration on his back, and who knows what else. He’s undergoing multiple surgeries tonight. The neurosurgeon used the term 'catastrophic.”'

I hope the driver wasn't impeded too much in getting to his or her destination. Must have been in a big hurry since they couldn't bother to stop or call 911.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That is awful.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. Terrible.

PM me if there's anything I can do to help.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. typefitter

Man, that's brutal. Hope he recovers as well as he can. Also hope the driver gets found. Given the conditions you describe, I'm guessing someone was on their fucking phone.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted