1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Aaron Boone get tossed for this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would have expected something a little more clever from the Post.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Honestly, it sounds like you baited the first baseman.

Regan MacNeil and JC like this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Why? So he can keep pissing and moaning the rest of the game?
    No.
    I gave him 2 bites at the apple.
    He wanted more.
    He got more in the parking lot.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There was no mistake in what he said.
    Loud, clear, and plain as day.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Ok, but what did he say to deserve getting run? You said he never swore, and he just answered the question you asked him.

Not trying to pick a fight, I’m just curious.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't care about swearing. I've had productive arguments with every 4th word was fuck.
    The way he went nuts with the safe at first. Wouldn't leave it alone.
    I told him relax.
    Then went with the first "YOU MISSED IT."
    Then went with the second "YOU MISSED IT."
    Then went to the parking lot.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Chef, you know I love you - but you baited him. Walk away. He screamed a reaction, he didn't curse. Not up to you to keep the argument going. When you asked him what he said, you expected a heated player to walk away? That's your job, you are the one expected to maintain control. That one was on you. Players are allowed to react.

The ump yesterday may have had a shitty strike zone but he maintained his composure. I heard you Aaron is all we hear him say. Then he let Boone blow off his steam and the game continued.

If you turn and walk away and he follows, continues his rant, whatever, then boom. But you did not.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Chef and I usually agree, but I'm on this side of things.

The thing that I've learned the most on the field and really in everyday life, when everything is going bonkers, when everyone has a heartbeat at 200 beats per second, as an official, it's our job to keep our heartbeat at 60 beats per minute, to stay calm and composed.

To be better.

The umpire in the Yankees game did that. Had every right to toss Boone, who looked and acted more like an idiot than the umpire.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No you didn’t, you baited him, you wanted to be the show. It’s not an emotional game for you, it is for the players, let them vent and walk away. You wanted confrontation and got what you were looking for. You didn’t even warn him.

If he keeps it up all game then toss him, this was a prototypical umpshow. And chances are, you got at least one of them wrong.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally agree, the ump took that very well. And might have even taken the words to heart. Compare that to some of the lousy veteran umps who would yell back and turn the whole thing into performance theatre.

JC likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It was the 1st game of a double, the zone was weak and Gardy was going to start both games. Boone didn’t need him tossed. Boone also has been relatively quiet this season. Good time to erupt. Tie game early in the first of two against the second place team. Whether you're 7 or 17 games up on the team team in your division immediately behind you sweeping 2 is gold. Did Boone calculate his ejection? Sure, a lot of guys do.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or Chef.

Draft saved Draft deleted