1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Professional Bull Riding : The South's next major sports bubble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The “buckle bunnies” at these events are legendary.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I've done many stupid things for stories over the course of my career.

Perhaps the stupidest of which was to work a week as a rodeo clown at the National Western Stock Show.

Yahoo, etc.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I give you the Ram Scramble.

Saw this in Ft. Worth. So, they must use the same ram over and over because the ram I saw had been to this BBQ before. It goes charging around the place running from these kids, but occasionally it would charge at an unsuspecting toddler. The ram would undercut the toddler and send the poor kid literally ass over tea kettle into the air. It was amazing to watch.

I did not think you could combine animal and child abuse into an event, but it was glorious to watch.

Vote Trump. Lol

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Out for a fun night with the family at the rodeo? Had a few beers? Well, how would you like to play cowboy poker? Last one still in the chair wins.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That guy at the end of the table looks the most calm before the bull arrives, which is amazing considering he's in the "oh sh*t" seat.

And that entire thing is awesome.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is even more Trumpist than a sport that once held an event called the NRA 400.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I live in Rodeo country and the annual Stampede is a huge event where everyone in the city is shitfaced for 10 days. The rodeo money is huge. This year they tried this and apparently was just a complete gong show.

Then there is this which is about 30 minutes from where I live. $10 to enter and they don't check how sober you are.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Used to go to the PBR event at the Worcester Centrum every year back in the 90s and 2000s. Interesting night out. The bullriding got kind of boring and repetitive after a while but the crowds were interesting -- it's New England where to my knowledge there isn't a lot actual rodeo, but there's a lot more redneck types in non-touristy, economically depressed parts of small-town Central and Western Mass., and rural New Hampshire, Connecticut and Maine than people realize, and they'd come in droves. It was highly politicized then too, at least once Bush was president and especially after we invaded Iraq. Lots of explosions and U-S-A in the opening ceremonies, along with Toby Keith's "We'll stick a boot in your ass" song. Good times. And the action coming out of the chute was a lot more fierce than what I saw at Cowtown Coliseum in Ft. Worth, though those were the touring pros as opposed to locals.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The latter describes more my college days, except they were free as hell. Kind of practice day for the serious riders. And they got drunker than I did. I got in the chute one time and was off in a nanosecond.

The only other unbelievable redneck thing I ever did, Okie noodling, was a lot safer.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As long as you don’t stick your hand into a hole with a snapping turtle.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Wow. That is like volunteering to get hit by a car.

12. How are Millennial/YouTube set not onboard with this?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted