1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett, Gatehouse talking merger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, May 30, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't know who has the resources buy Gannett. DFM did not have the cash. McClatchy and Lee have a lot of debt and low market capitalizations. Gatehoues's stock price is int he toilet. Maybe Tribune but that company has a lot of trouble making decisions.

2. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

3. cubman

cubman Member

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If Gatehouse, arguably even a cheaper more disgraceful company than Gannett (staff size, pay for employees), buys Gannett does that mean Gatehouse will improve the papers? Or hack them down to Gatehouse crap standards? Would Gatehouse kill USA Today??

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gatehouse will kill anything it touches.

I was talking to a non-journalist friend earlier today about the state of the industry and how Gatehouse owns 95 percent of the newspapers (including weeklies) within a 50-mile radius. It’s insane. She couldn’t believe it.

Liut likes this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Gannett is clueless. I think Gatehouse has smarter management and the strategy is to milk the papers until they die. So Gatehouse would hack them down.

But Gatehouse stock has tumbled in price and I don't see how they can finance the purchase of Gannett. '

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

They’ll just borrow some of Mnuchin’s pallets of cash to leverage it. We all know how that debt is going to be retired.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Is there a need for USA Today any more? Business travelers don't need USA Today to get a paragraph of news from back home. On a plane or in the hotel breakfast room, travelers are looking at their phones, not reading newspapers. National advertising has plummeted, as a look at any USA Today will confirm. If you buy Gannett, why wouldn't you keep open a small Washington bureau to service the chain and kill the rest of USA Today?

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The NYT, WSJ and WP are nowadays the de facto national newspapers. I think USA Today will be broken up into zoned editions as a last resort before they totally nuke it.

Liut likes this.
  10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Newspapers should implode before allowing these assholes to take credit for killing it off.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not that I expected it to go out in a blaze of glory, but I would have hoped that all those "3s" I got for phone, and other BS Gannett put their employees through would have been for some higher purpose then just conceding to Gatehouse. But the company has never been known for its imagination.

Waldo9939 and Fredrick like this.
  12. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

God, one would hope that this would fly against monopoly rules or the FCCs media ownership rules. But those both feel more and more relaxed as the years go by.

Draft saved Draft deleted