1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bike people are the worst

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are other options available to get from Point A to B?

We usually look at cyclists (bikers are on motorcycles, not bicycles) vs. motorized vehicles through the prism of the lyrca-clad folks riding carbon-fiber rigs. But most bicyclists killed by drivers are people riding $100 bikes from Walmart or even cheaper ones from a pawn shop. They don't have a car or truck to get to work or the store. So how do you make it easier for them to commute?

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Drive 40 miles an hour on a 2-lane road and then get a strobe light in the face and see how you like it. If you run it during the day it may not be that big of an issue. I see them at night here all the time. It's blinding, disorienting and infuriating. I'm astonished they're legal.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

give them subways, buses and legs.

4. Inky_Wretch

Public transportation is non-existent in much of the country. The bus system in my 90,000 runs on four major arteries and gets to each stop once per hour. And only from 7 am to 6 pm Monday through Saturday.

Sure, they could walk. But riding a bike - even a beater - will get them there faster. It also means they can find work outside of a small radius around affordable housing. And they're able to hit grocery stores outside of the food deserts where Dollar Generals are the only sources for food.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. CD Boogie

The Cities with the Most Loyal Bike Commuters - CityLab

nationally, less than one percent of commuters (0.6 percent) bike to work at least once a week.
    that's not a lot.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. CD Boogie

you keep hammering this saw. You really think people choose not to commute by bike bc of angry motorists? Show me one.

People in general are assholes. Why would I want to swim without protection among a bunch of self-centered sharks? That's no hill to die on.

8. Inky_Wretch

The folks I'm talking about don't participate in League of American Bicyclists surveys.

9. CD Boogie

why?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes.

Read the posts here.

Average folks in most areas won't commute by bike in greater numbers until we can make it safer.

Build more bike lanes. Separate cars from bikes.

Train better, more patient motorists.

11. CD Boogie

I'm all for that. I don't think they should share the same territory. Again, I don't know how people can ride bikes in flowing traffic. It strikes me as insanely precarious.

12. Inky_Wretch

I'm guessing most have never heard of the organization. And the guy working minimum wage and riding six miles one way to get there probably doesn't see himself as a bicyclist.

I'd wager that survey is pretty accurate when it comes to counting white collar folks who commute by bike. But not the working poor.

Draft saved Draft deleted