1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It should be noted that as late as the late '80s, teams would have close to 100 guys in camp with the bottom 25 or so pretty much human blocking sleds and tackling dummies for the much greater amount of full contact practice. Add two regular season games with the 1000 times greater intensity than preseason and the current practice regimen and there will be a spectacularly horrid number of injuries. If a Mahomes or Gurley or Rodgers gets hurt before Labor Day, the 18 game schedule will lose its appeal. Also, I don't see the union going for it unless, you know, everybody got a 12.5 percent pay raise.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Back then, though, the NFL was a part-time gig for many players. They needed six preseason games to get into shape. Now, not so much with year-round conditioning, minicamps, OTAs, etc.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The only thing that matters is 18/2 makes more $$$ than 16/4

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Which is why it will happen as long as the players get their cut. The training camps I talked about are as long gone as the single wing.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I never realized it, but if they just make two of the exhibitions league games, the season ticket price should remain the same, yes?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I like the idea on the surface.

But the owners will NEVER go for it. Not as long as season-ticket packages are 10 games ... the eight regular-season games and two exhibition games.

They scoop in big money on those games. They don't want to ship those games out to any small venue that will hamper ticket sales.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Wanna bet?

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. Owner soak season-ticket holders for 10 games.

A big reason so many of those exhibition games hit StubHub, etc. ...

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

God, those six-exhibition preseasons were insane. Some teams would play their starters; others would pull bums off of skid row to take reps.

As I recall (and I don't feel like checking), most teams would work the vets more and more into the games in the last exhibition or two -- in contrast to now, when few starters even set foot on the field in the last exhibition game.

As I recall also, nobody cared much (or at all) about winning the first couple weeks, but in preseason weeks 5-6 teams were usually trying to win. Coaches didn't want to go into the season off a string of losses.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That’s a good point.

I still like 18/2 with expanded rosters.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

16 games, 18 weeks, SB on Presidents' Day weekend

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I love the idea of not working the day after a SB.

Draft saved Draft deleted