1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tyler Skaggs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jul 1, 2019.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Kile had something like a 90 percent arterial blockage. Pot ain't got nothing to do with that.

Then feel free to take a hike.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Not saying it had anything to do with Kile's death. Just pointing out that it would not be uncommon for a drug to be found in Skagg's tox report. And unless he OD'd, having drugs in his body wouldn't necessarily be newsworthy — more of an aside than anything.

My tox report would show high levels of pot use — and enjoyment of said same.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Mine too. Other than that I'm clean as a whistle.
    I really hope the guy's report comes back as natural causes.
    I just keep thinking of how foolish people looked when Jose Fernandez's toxicology report came back.
    One bad night can kill anybody, whether you're a good dude, whether you're a star or whether you're not.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

5. SnarkShark

The Angels responding to the Santa Monica Observer is akin to Trump responding to reports he fucks his daughter because Starman said something on this site.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I never said I knew Ganezer. I do know he is a real person who is the publisher of this paper. My friend and mentor, Mitch Chortkoff, was a contributor to this paper for a number of years before he died. He didn't like Ganezer much, but he did get paid.
    My friend at The Lookout is looking into these claims of it being a phony publication for fake news.
    Why would I come on here and post a bunch of bullshit? None of the news organizations in Santa Monica are good enough to even be gossip rags.

What happened to the link that snarkshark posted about this, the one that claimed the SMObserver was phony?? That story had so many inaccuracies in it, it couldn't be believed. Maybe Regan MacNeil wrote it.

7. SnarkShark

The links are all there. I've posted several.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Looking into it?

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Aside from the weird fork this thread has taken wherein we explore the merits of Santa Monica semi-newspapers as a surrogate for inter-board beef, I'm going to get crucified for thinking that the other night was so perfect, we're kind of at risk of forgetting, and perhaps even weirdly being okay about, the death of a young man and athlete. Like, Tyler Skaggs is still, and always will be, tragically dead.

10. ChrisLong

My friend is Jorge Casuso. We worked together at the Santa Monica Outlook in the early 90s. He was a GA reporter, not a sports writer. He created his own online newspaper -- surfsantamonica.com, aka The Lookout -- and has been operating for 20 or so years. He wrote one of the stories I linked, where he pointedly questioned the the Observer for the RBG and Kanye West stories.
    I emailed him about the discussion here and he said he would look into it.
    Another friend of mine still lives in the city, though not actively involved in any of the news organizations. He was a VP at Kodak after a stellar career as an SI photographer (he shot more than 50 covers). He told me the SM Observer is still around.
    Neither of these guys are full of shit.
    FWIW, Ganezer was quoted in one of the linked stories, so he is still around. The website -- smobserved.com -- is still functioning and has a bit of up-to-date local news on it.
    As for the writer -- Stan Greene -- I don't know him and have never heard of him. As I said, going to smobserved for local news is about the fifth option.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Observer has some real stories (Hurricane, Skaggs mom throwing out first pitch, police shooting) mixed, so it's not 100% fake.

About Stan Greene:

12. ChrisLong

Thanks, Glad. I have emailed this to Casuso.

Draft saved Draft deleted