1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tyler Skaggs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jul 1, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Look, I get it. We're reporters/editors. We dig. We want answers.

But having been in the situation of losing family members out of the blue and in tragic fashions, there is a delicate line to balance.

I've chastised my current employer as saying we shouldn't be showing up and being in victim's families faces in the direct aftermath of a tragedy. And I've been rebuked and told to stand down, despite knowing where they're at, because, well, ratings. (And the fact we are run by mental small-town midgets.)

Some stories you don't need to be first for the sake of being first. Let the process play out.

This past week, as I wrote on another thread, the final NTSB report came out on the fault of the crash and loss of my sister and her family. I had to write a family statement because a reporter I had been in contact with was courteous, classy and respectful of the process. And fair.

It was fine because a) of the reporter's professionalism and b) we knew within a few hours of what the likely cause was and it bored out in the report.

Had my employer or any other outlet who acted in the way they do/did with victim's families, they would have gotten an F-you from us.

If Tyler Skaggs died from an opioid overdoes, that's tragic. That's not something to be jumping up and down about because you got it first. And that no one in two weeks will remember.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Legit question: Are the circumstances of Tyler Skaggs' death - and its location - in any way analogous to Prince's or Michael Jackson's?

Should the results of any investigation of Skaggs' death be released as soon or on a similar timetable as those of MJ or Prince? I honestly don't know this answer.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's only analogous in terms of celebrity and on a much, much lower and localized level.

Assuming the toxicology report is a public record it should be released whenever it's ready. There's no valid reason to fast-track it, if that's even a possibility. There's no legitimate public interest in it.

jlee and bigpern23 like this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Local Paper's Take on Former Samohi Star's Death Sparks Outrage

Santa Monica Newspaper Publisher Explains Why He Removed Tyler Skaggs Story

This is my hometown and where I worked the first 25 years of my career. I am an alumni of this high school and the baseball program.

The newspapers that cover this city are pathetic. There are 6 of them. One is 5 days a week, one is daily online only, the other four are weeklies. Of the group, the SM Observer probably ranks fifth and the publisher, Ganezer, is an idiot. The idea of all of them merging to have one good paper never happens and I think Ganezer is the main reason -- he wants his say all the time.

The two links are from an online news source The Lookout, which is staffed by my former paper, The Outlook, which folded in 1998. The writer is very good. In the second link, he takes some shots at the writer of the Observer story, Stan Greene, who I don't know.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I’m not so sure that a timely toxicology report quells uncertainty if there are any amount of certain drugs in his system, even if the amounts are well below a level that is considered fatal.

If more investigation is necessary, it’s now a confirmed drug-related mystery instead of just a mystery. Meanwhile, the team is traveling around the country, so the story is going to resurface every week. If there’s trace amounts of a drug in his system, that same old story is: “We don’t know why Tyler Skaggs died, but we do know THIS” as opposed to, “We don’t know why Tyler Skaggs died.”

So if the release of any details is up to the family, and not part of the public record, I think a delay doesn’t immediately suggest a cover-up.

That’s not to say it should be passively covered. To me, a litmus test is: If the person checked into rehab, would you cover it? If so, I think it’s fair to seek out facts about the death in a responsible and ethical manner.

I have no issue with a properly vetted and edited story that brings the facts to light before they are officially cleared to be released.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Me, neither. That's how most breaking stories are, particularly with regard to something about which you beat any official "release": Someone might be upset. That doesn't mean you shouldn't run it. Others don't get to determine when responsible reporters/newspapers put out the news. There should be an element of consideration and compassion involved when warranted, but others don't, or shouldn't, get to make the decision.

jlee likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I'd be hesitant just because if there is a false positive and it comes out later your reporting was wrong, you look like a jackass. Through your proper vetting, I would just be extra careful to figure out why the information is awaiting clearance. If it is just someone's boss needs to sign a paper and the information is not going to change, OK. But if they are waiting for another test to come back but "felt confident in the results" I might hedge.

I had a situation where (through no fault of the paper's) we reported a guy died in a crash as the result of drugs or alcohol in his system. Turns out, the hospital that ran the tests got a false positive. We vetted the info through the police and thought we were good to go, but the information was wrong. The guy's dad was furious and caused headaches for us for about 6 months after that. Out vetting didn't matter because we were the ones who put it out to the public. In that case, I'm not sure if there was much we could have done differently, but if faced with a "the information has not been cleared," because of that I would delay until I was sure.

jlee likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I believe it was reported pretty early on that Kile had pot in his system.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Chris Long says he knows the publisher. Being a sleazy local gossip rag isn't the same as being the Babylon Bee.

Unless Chris Long is full of shit, which, whatever.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If I call myself a publisher, I can run an imaginary publication with imaginary writers too.

Draft saved Draft deleted