1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

007 gets woke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The update/twist is fine. It's asking a lot of the actor in question, to take over the 007 role, when she's not real well known.

The series wasn't that behind the times anyway. Vesper Lynd was a hell of a character, played by one hell of an actress.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

#007PECT

Batman likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suspect she will only be 007 for the early part of the movie when Bond retires. Then she will be killed, forcing Bond to return to Her Majesty’s Secret Service to avenge her.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Now this is what I had in mind for Jane Bond:

BTW, I have read Maney's two Nancy Drew parodies, and I can't remember ever reading fiction that made me laugh out loud that hard.

5. So Idris Elba won't/can't be 007, so they opt for a black woman? I assume she's going to LGBQT to check all the PC boxes for moviegoers?
    This has to be a stunt or a hoax, right?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Might as well go big or go home.
    Although the introduction of the phrase "Bond girl-girl" will be fun.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Careful. This could be like the introduction of "C" to go with "M" and "Q" in "Spectre." They never implied that the character was a one-off for the single film.

In summary ... could be an alias for one film.

Still like the idea of Idris Elba as the next Bond ... was disappointed that racists came crashing down on the mere speculation years ago. That didn't stop the Broccoli family from casting Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. Good for them.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe the UK is changing now that they have a black baby (bam-ba-lam)

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Elba would have been a spectacular Bond. I don't know who this actress is, but I'll watch it. Give me cool stunts, a fun plot and a good villain and Bond's gender/race are really not that important.

10. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The roles are completely different.

Idris Elba was rumored as a Daniel Craig replacement. This woman will be an agent who works alongside (or against) Daniel Craig's James Bond. She just happens to take the 007 designation.

She is not James Bond. She is a different character completely in the same movie as Craig's Bond.

11. How does that fly?
    Bond is 007.
    As noted previously, I thought the name - the pseudonym - was tied to the 007 designation.

Whatever ...

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

James Bond is not a code name or a pseudonym. 007 is a code name or designation.

“At the end of Skyfall, Bond takes the battle with supervillain Silva to his own secret lair: the family mansion in the Scottish highlands (called Skyfall). There we briefly see the family cemetary, where we see the headstones of his parents, Andrew Bond and Monique Delacroix Bond. And so it is established, fully and once and for all, that James Bond is actually a guy named James Bond. It is not a name that is conferred by MI6, it is not a secret identity. It is simply a shittily-hidden actual identity. All of the previous James Bonds were definitely the same guy, and all future post-Craig Bonds will still be the same guy. “

Draft saved Draft deleted