1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should broadcasters have worn dead player’s jersey on the air?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jul 13, 2019.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Media columnist Tom Hoffarth and San Diego U-T sports editor Jay Posner are getting a lot of heat for criticizing Angels broadcasters for wearing Tyler Skaggs jersey on the air on the day the entire team did to honor their fallen teammate.

I agree with them. While the broadcasters are not journalists, they are not on the team and it starts making the night about them and not the game.

Are we wrong?

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Even if you think it's dumb, a guy died. Keep your mouth shut and let it go.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

File this under: Being pissed off just to be pissed off about something.

Does it really matter, and if it is wrong, is it really a capital offense?

FileNotFound, heyabbott and Sea Bass like this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The answer is yes, the people complaining are wrong. And their arguments are silly.

Posner wants you to think he's just concerned about professional workplace attire? Hoffarth wants to know what Vin Scully would do? Vin Scully would have tried to sell you Farmer John hot dogs.

They are not journalists. They are employees of the team, hosting a broadcast of the team's game. If they want to wear the dead player's jersey, go for it. It is not, on any level, "making it about themselves."

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What PC said. If it were a national broadcast, yeah, I'd be worried. But this was a local one.

Inevitably, someone will bring up Wilbon being on a post-game SportsCenter wearing a Cubs jersey, but remember he was reloctant to be on the air then because he was attending the game as a fan.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s fine. Are broadcasters employed by the team? It chosen by the team?

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I thought it was weird when I first saw it, but then, what the hell. Who cares? They are honoring the guy. Being objective doesn't mean you can't honor somebody. I have no problem with it at all.

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I hope Skaggs' cause of death doesn't boomerang on all this.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's still dead and people are still mourning, no matter how he died.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You must be a journalist.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, every TV station in SEC country has the local team’s logo on the polo shirts issued to on-air talent. This isn’t new.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think they were "making it about themselves," but I'm not a fan of it. But I can agree to disagree, though. Hoffarth or anyone else criticizing via Twitter is just a waste of time because nuanced discussions there have been out to lunch for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted