1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘Bring a male colleague along’: The controversy between a Mississippi reporter and candidate for gov

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tweener, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

The whole implication of the policy is that women — specifically women, because there’s not a rule about men — lie and are looking for opportunities to take advantage of powerful men, to “get their 15 minutes” or some such bullshit.

Anyone sexist enough to employ the policy should be disqualified, and anyone who’s, on top of that, stupid enough to actually broadcast being so sexist should be doubly disqualified.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This analogy only works if the teacher requires a parent to be present for every interaction with a student.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

At last report, still lusting in his heart.

cake in the rain likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Even in Mississippi there’s a point where your typical mainline Baptist will go “Yeesh.”

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

A professor friend tells me this happens at college campuses everywhere. He wasn't surprised when he heard this.

Doug Christie comes to politics.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oddly, as I type this CNN is airing an interview of Pence with Pamela Brown (a solid 6, of course) and seems comfortable. Perhaps the camera crew has another male in it, or it's not a big deal.

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I wasn’t surprised, either. I actually once had a professor, a woman, who wouldn’t meet privately in her office with any men. I never considered it a universal distrust of us. I just think she wanted to avoid any potentially compromising, or at least awkward, situations. I don’t think it ever put me at a disadvantage.

With Foster, him denying a journalist certain privileges because she is a woman does put her at an unfair disadvantage. Even if the “policy” were well intentioned, some concessions should’ve been made to avoid that, I believe.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Problem is that his justification alternates between his strong Christian beliefs and the practical concerns of running for office in 2019.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

If you're going to enforce the Billy Graham rule in a professional setting, it is on you to bring another person (a staffer?) to fulfill it, not make a request of the reporter or your guest.

Every church I've ever attended operates by the rule. My wife is a religion reporter and understands it. It's not a hassle when she goes to interview someone. It's often just that the person she's interviewing keeps the door open or that another person might be in the room during an interview.

If you're running for governor, you will have media. If you want to make sure you're not alone with someone, then *you* - not the reporter - need to make arrangements.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A religion reporter? Do parents tell her she’s depriving their kids of divinity school scholarships?

MTM and sgreenwell like this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When she tells some pesty caller to go to hell, she means it!

Doc Holliday and Baron Scicluna like this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't blame him at all. Just have a male staff member of his own there at all times and he's covered. But I don't blame him at all. Look at what that poor bastard Brett Kavanaugh went through. Fuck the Fake News media.

Draft saved Draft deleted