1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starbucks to newspapers: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Jul 12, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I can't imagine they sold that many and it was probably a hassle from an inventory and money-tracking sense.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I don't even drink coffee, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't go somewhere to overpay for it like Starbucks.

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Less than 24 hours ago while sitting in a Starbucks out here in Middle America, I saw someone grab a USA Today and walk out the door, either unaware or (more likely) simply not caring that it was *not* free.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Haha, yes. There was basically always a "community" NYT, USA Today and local paper at all the ones I went to.

I suppose this would be like, item #763 in "bad news for local newspapers."

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is a very perceptive take in my opinion. I have frequented Starbucks in various cities and if there's time I like to see if there are indeed newspapers for sale in the stores. One time, and I am not making this up, I purchased coffee, sat down, saw a newspaper rack and I'm not making this up, asked the coffee cashier if they sold many and I'd like to buy a newspaper. The person said no and seriously, did not know what the newspaper cost. Told me to take it for free. I have never once seen anybody reading a newspaper in a coffee shop.

It's interesting because newspapers have been getting some charitable coverage on TV since the Epstein story resurfaced. Journalists helped catch that bastard. Yet ... even with some people lamenting how we must support the local watchdog newspaper, Starbucks makes this decision at this time, basically saying, "Look, your business is dead; nothing we can do to help you guys out. Either get people to pay for your online presence or too bad. We just can't help you out here."

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Coffee at Starbucks is no more expensive than most places. The one I go to most often is right across from a Dunkin and their large coffees cost the same thing.

It's when you turn it into one of those fancy drinks that things get expensive. But that's not coffee.

Fredrick and sgreenwell like this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When motels stop handing out USA Today I wonder what their circulation will drop to?

PaperDoll and Fredrick like this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not officially a trip to a Holiday Inn Express until I pick up a USA Today. Then toss it in disgust midway through my free breakfast.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Headline should be, Starbucks to Stop Putting Newspapers on Racks in Their Stores and Then Throwing Them Out at the End of the Day Because They Went Unsold.

Sea Bass and Sports Barf like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Stayed at a bougie Crowne Plaza in Danbury and was impressed to see them have the Wall Street Journal instead. Then I realized I was in Danbury.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The puzzle page in USA Today was a great way to spend time with my morning coffee when I stayed in hotels a lot. I'm rarely in hotels anymore. Last two stays, I never saw a USA Today. Do they still give them away? Do they still have a puzzle page?

Draft saved Draft deleted