1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Bouton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Well, fuckshit.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. Loved Ball Four - spent the summer of 1969 in Seattle and saw several Pilots games.

Met Bouton years later when he was making his comeback with Atlanta. They stashed him in Richmond for a while. Bright guy, always a fun conversation

garrow likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'll pound a Bud in his honor tonight. What an absolutely fabulous book and from what I understand, a top-quality human being.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

His book truly enhanced my already-immense interest in baseball, especially the journalistic side. RIP, sir.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I read Ball Four for the first time when I was 13, and I knew from that point on that I wanted to be a sportswriter. I have the book on my Kindle and almost every time I’m on a plane, I will randomly flip to some point in the book, start reading from there and become thoroughly engrossed even though I know all the words. RIP.

misterbc and Slacker like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pete Rose, batting against Bouton after the book came out, singled and screamed "Fuck you Shakespeare" as he rounded first. Too bad it was too late for the book.

expendable and HanSenSE like this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think that made his second book, "I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally."

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Perhaps the only major leaguer to have starred in a Robert Altman movie...or serve as a convention delegate for George McGovern.

RIP.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Shitfuck. RIP Asseyes.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I had a dog eared copy of the paperback and when it fell apart I bought the hardcover rerelease
    “Boys, bunting is like jacking off. Once you learn how you never forget.”

12. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

At UNC in '94, in an elective English class, the professor had us go around & name our favorite book & author.

After all the Fitzgeralds, Faulkners & others, it got to me.

"Jim Bouton's 'Ball Four.'"

The response: "What?"

"Ball Four."

RIP, Bulldog.

Draft saved Draft deleted