1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2019.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

They're hard capped. By dropping him, they get under it by something like 200K. I thought they might trade him, but that would cost another draft pick.

I kinda hope he retires. He was giving his all in the playoffs, and he seems just kinda out of juice. The idea he's a valuable for a contender seems a stretch.

(Lets put it this way, if he was close to what he'd been, GSW would've been in Game 7 most likely).

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant Hibbert as the guy out of the league.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. sgreenwell

Cauley-Stein at two years, $2.1M a year - if I'm reading that right - is a hell of a sign. Again, it seems like going forward, there are always a couple interesting PF/C types that are forced to settle for minor deals.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Too bad Horace Grant wasn't one of his two fathers; he would have been paid $10M a year!

6. sgreenwell

Haaaa. To be fair and to reiterate my stance from earlier in this thread - It just seems like there is such a glut of decent big men in FA every year now, that you're hamstringing your salary cap if you spend money on them. In contrast, 3-and-D wings are now more correctly valued, vs. five to 10 years ago.

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

It’s a good pickup for the price. People were dogging this signing for some reason. I guess they’d rather have 31-yo DeAndre Jordan for 10 times the money and twice the length on the deal.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I can't believe how fucking stupid some of these national NBA writers are.

Yes, Russ in Minnesota makes perfect sense. For the Wolves. But why in the blue fuck would OKC want any part of Andrew Wiggins?

sgreenwell and Tweener like this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Canadian broadcaster agrees with you

Jay Onrait calls Chris Broussard "the biggest f***king fraud in the history of sports media"

“And I know it’s all bullshit. I get it. All those shows in the daytime, First Take, and again, I like all those people personally, I like them all, and I understand why they’re doing those shows. It works, it gets numbers, people like them, it’s entertaining. I’m not criticizing that side of it. I’m just saying if anyone in the history of the world takes anything the daytime guys say seriously, and I’m including Stephen A. [Smith] in this, I know Stephen A. has a lot of connections, but he said a lot of stuff that’s completely 100 percent fucking false…if anyone tells me ‘Stephen A. said something’ or ‘Max Kellerman said something,’ no! It’s all bullshit! No one knows anything! And they should have known that Kawhi was the kind of person that this would backfire on them about!”

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Broussard did say that the Clippers were out and that he was more than 90 percent sure, according to sources of course, that Kawhi was going to the Lakers.

Never believed he had any clue what Kawhi was doing.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When in doubt, talk about the Lakers, talk about the Cowboys, talk about the Yankees - regardless of what the truth is.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was stunned by this. Cauley-Stein averaged 12 points and eight rebounds last year. He was never the rim protector Sacramento wanted but he is very athletic for a guy that size and I would think able to defend the perimeter effectively on a switch. And at a price barely above the minimum salary.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    sgreenwell and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted