1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP VW Beetle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jul 9, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Best part of that AP story is the photo of a Beetle at a German gas station in 1954, being serviced by women on roller skates.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Kinky.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My guess is it will be back at some point.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Harry Chapin gets his revenge at last.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Had about a 20 year run as a retro remake, meaning it outlasted the return of the Thunderbird, Monte Carlo (RIP) and probably the Continental once they realize they bitched that up too.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

One of the cores of the Beetle’s design, it’s pancake four-cylinder air-cooled engine, probably played a role in its declining market share.

It was difficult to make it larger and more powerful and still dissipate heat sufficiently. And attempts to meet U.S. emissions regulations further taxed its limited horsepower. It was very difficult to add creature comforts such as an automatic transmission or air conditioning and still have a Beetle that could easily reach highway speeds.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

My buddy had a Beetle in high school. One night he got into it with another driver. At a red light the guys in the other car got out and smashed the windows with baseball bats. That's my nostalgic memory of the Beetle.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Take it to the fight thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted